Coastal and Marine Geo-Information Systems: Applying the Technology to the Environment / Edition 1by David R. Green, Stephen D. King
This volume comprises a collection of 40 chapters by experts dealing with the application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS), remote sensing, cartography, visualisation and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to coastal and marine environments around the world. Aimed primarily at the practising marine and coastal zone manager, it provides an up-to-date… See more details below
This volume comprises a collection of 40 chapters by experts dealing with the application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS), remote sensing, cartography, visualisation and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to coastal and marine environments around the world. Aimed primarily at the practising marine and coastal zone manager, it provides an up-to-date examination of the application of geo-information and spatial technologies to a wide range of topics such as fisheries, coastal geomorphology, the use of remotely sensed imagery, coastal vegetation mapping, coastal pollution, landscape ecology, and decision support systems (DSS). Audience: This book should be useful to researchers, managers and practitioners at coastal organisations, agencies and research centers, as well as professionals in the marine and coastal GIS and remote sensing industry.
- Springer Netherlands
- Publication date:
- Coastal Systems and Continental Margins (closed) Series, #4
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 1.44(w) x 6.14(h) x 9.21(d)
Table of Contents
- Part I: The Setting. 1. The Coastal Zone Environment: A Place to Work, Rest, Play and to Manage; S.D. King. 2. The North East Coastline of Scotland; J.S. Smith.
-Part II: The Coastal Zone. 3. Coastal/Marine GI/GIS - A Pan-European Perspective; R.A. Longhorn. 4. Plans for the Coastal Zone; P.A.G. Watts. 5. Hydrographic Data and Geographical Information Systems; P. Wright.
- Part III: Example Applications. 6. GIS for Sustainable Coastal Zone Management in the Pacific - A Strategy; B. Crawley, J. Aston. 7. Managing Marine Resources: The Role of GIS in EEZ Management; S. Fletcher. 8. The Management Plan of the Wadden Sea and its Visualisation; M.A. Damoiseaux. 9. Using GIS For Siting Artificial Reefs - Data Issues, Problems and Solutions: 'Real World' To 'Real World'; D.R. Green, S.T. Ray. 10. Collating the Past of Assessing the Future: Analysis of the Subtidal and Intertidal Data Records Within GIS; C.I.S. Pater. 11. Identifying Sites for Flood Protection - A Case Study from the River Clyde; G. Jones. 12. Arctic Coastal and Marine Environmental Monitoring; H. Goodwin, R. Palerud. 13. A GIS Application for the Study of Beach Morphodynamics; L.P. Humphries, C.N. Ligdas. 14. Determination and Prediction of Sediment Yields from Recession of the Holderness Coast; R. Newsham, et al. 15. Tracing the Recent Evolution of the Littoral Spit and El Rompido, Huelva (Spain) Using Remote Sensing and GIS; J.O jeda Zújar, et al. 16. Littoral and Shoreline Processes in Large Man-Made Lakes; A.Sh. Khabidov. 17. Coastal Zone Management: The Case of Castellón; I. Rodriguez, A. Lloret, J.M. de la Peña.
- Part IV: Habitat. 18. Evaluating the Coastal Environment for Marine Birds; S. Wanless, et al. 19. Initial Attempts to Assess the Importance of the Distributing of Saltmarsh Communities on the Sediment Budget of the North Norfolk Coast; N.J. Brown, et al. 20. Quantifying Landscape/Ecological Succession in a Coastal Dune System Using Sequential Aerial Photography and GIS; S. Shanmugam, M. Barnsley. 21. Geomatics for the Management of Oyster Culture Leases and Production; J. Populus, et al. 22. GIS and Aquaculture: Soft-Shell Clam Site Assessment; A. Simms. 23. Evaluation of Ecological Effects of the North Sea Industrial Fishing Industry on the Availability of Human Consumption Species Using Geographical Distribution Resource Data; J. Robertson, et al.
- Part V: Technology. 24. Digital Elevation Models by Laserscanning; U. Lohr. 25. Error Modeling and Management for Data in Geospatial Information Systems; M.A. Chapman, et al. 26. The Use of Dynamic Segmentation in the Coastal Information System: Adjacency Relationships from Southeastern Newfoundland, Canada; K.A. Edwardson, et al. 27. Consideration on Satellite Data Correction by Bidirectional Reflectance Measurement of Coastal Sand with a Remote Sensing Simulator; H. Okayama, J. Sun. 28. Constructing a Geomorphological Database of Coastal Change Using GIS; J. Raper, et al.
- Part VI: Geographic Information Systems and Decision Support Systems. 29. Development of a DSS for the Integrated Development of Thassos Island; H. Coccossis, K. Dimitriou. 30. Development of a Spatial Decision Support System for the Biological Influences on Inter-Tidal Areas (Biota) Project within the Land Ocean Interaction Study; N.J. Brown, et al. 31. User Assessment of Coastal Spatial Decision Support Systems; R. Canessa, C.P. Keller. 32. Internet-Based Information Systems: The Forth Estuary Forum (FEF) System; D.R. Green, S.D. King. 33. Mike Info Coast &endash; A GIS-Based Tool for Coastal Zone Management; R. Andersen.
- Part VII: Remote Sensing. 34. Matching Issue to Utility: A Hierarchical Store of Remotely Sensed Imagery for Coastal Zone Management; S.D. King, D.R. Green. 35. Predicting the Distribution of Marine Benthic Biotopes in Scottish Conservation Areas Using Acoustic Remote Sensing, Underwater Video and GIS; C. Johnston, A. Davison. 36. Submerged Kelp Biomass Assessment using CASI; E.L. Simms. 37. Monitoring Coastal Morphological Changes Using Topographical Methods, Softcoy Photogrammetry and GIS, Huelva (Andalucia, Spain); J. Ojeda Zújar, et al. 38. Characterization of Coastal Waters for the Monitoring of Pollution by Means of Remote Sensing; the Use of Satellite Imagery to Establish the Appropriate Pattern for Timing and Location of Sampling in Coastal Waters; J. Ojeda Zújar, et al.
- Part VIII: Developments and the Future. 39. European CZM and the Global Spatial Data Infrastructure Initiative (GSDI); R.A. Longhorn. 40. Access to Marine Data on the Internet for Coastal Zone Management: The New Millennium; D.R. Green, S.D. King.
- List of Contributors. Index.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >