Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Second Edition: Basics and Beyond / Edition 2by Judith S. Beck
The leading text for students and practicing therapists who want to learn the fundamentals of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), this book is eminently practical and authoritative. In a highly accessible, step-by-step style, master clinician Judith S. Beck demonstrates how to engage patients, develop a sound case conceptualization, plan treatment, and structure… See more details below
The leading text for students and practicing therapists who want to learn the fundamentals of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT), this book is eminently practical and authoritative. In a highly accessible, step-by-step style, master clinician Judith S. Beck demonstrates how to engage patients, develop a sound case conceptualization, plan treatment, and structure sessions effectively. Core cognitive, behavioral, and experiential techniques are explicated and strategies are presented for troubleshooting difficulties and preventing relapse. An extended case example and many vignettes and transcripts illustrate CBT in action. Reproducible clinical tools can be downloaded and printed in a convenient 8 1/2" x 11" size.
See also Dr. Beck's Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems: What to Do When the Basics Don't Work, which addresses ways to solve frequently encountered problems with patients who are not making progress.
New to This Edition
*Reflects over 15 years of research advances and the author's ongoing experience as a clinician, teacher, and supervisor.
*Chapters on the evaluation session and behavioral activation.
*Increased emphasis on the therapeutic relationship, building on patients' strengths, and homework.
*Now even more practical: features reproducibles and a sample case write-up.
- Guilford Publications, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Second Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.30(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.40(d)
Table of Contents
Foreword, Aaron T. Beck
1. Introduction to Cognitive Therapy
2. Overview of Treatment
3. Cognitive Conceptualization
4. The Evaluation Session
5. Structure of the First Therapy Session
6. Behavioral Activation
7. Session 2 and Beyond: Structure and Format
8. Problems with Structuring the Therapy Session
9. Identifying Automatic Thoughts
10. Identifying Emotions
11. Evaluating Automatic Thoughts
12. Responding to Automatic Thoughts
13. Identifying and Modifying Intermediate Beliefs
14. Identifying and Modifying Core Beliefs
15. Additional Cognitive and Behavioral Techniques
18. Termination and Relapse Prevention
19. Treatment Planning
20. Problems in Therapy
21. Progressing as a Cognitive Therapist
Appendix A. Cognitive Case Write-Up
Appendix B. Cognitive Behavior Therapy Resources Appendix C. Cognitive Therapy Rating Scale
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >