This book provides an introduction to the basic principles underlying the analysis and design of communication systems -- with an emphasis on digital communications. Features thorough coverage of all relevant topics in communication system design — e.g., source coding, channel coding, baseband and carrier modulation, channel distortion, channel equalization, and synchronization. Emphasizes digital communications — but covers analog modulation techniques in sufficient detail. Covers spread spectrum modulation.
2. Signals and Linear Systems.
3. Random Processes.
4. Information Sources and Source Coding.
5. Analog Signal Transmission and Reception.
6. Effect of Noise on Analog Communication Systems.
7. Digital Transmission Through an Additive White Gaussian Noise Channel.
8. Digital PAM Transmission Through Bandlimited AWGN Channels.
9. Digital Transmission via Carrier Modulation.
10. Channel Capacity and Coding.
11. Spread-Spectrum Communication Systems.