About the Author Ray Horak is President of the Context Corporation, an independent telecommunications consulting firm. Ray is a world-class lecturer who presents seminars, workshops, and conferences for telephone and data networking professionals worldwide. He is the author of many professional articles and is a Contributing Editor for Newton's Telecom Dictionary and several other publications.
Communications Systems & Networksby Ray Horak
"Ray has provided individuals like myself the knowledge to truly understand the maze of data communications." David Rubin, CEO Mercury eCOMM Your Complete Guide to Today's Networked World In this unique overview, Ray Horak lucidly describes today's communications systems and networks voice, data, video, and multimedia and… See more details below
"Ray has provided individuals like myself the knowledge to truly understand the maze of data communications." David Rubin, CEO Mercury eCOMM Your Complete Guide to Today's Networked World In this unique overview, Ray Horak lucidly describes today's communications systems and networks voice, data, video, and multimedia and explains how they are likely to evolve and converge as we move further toward an information-based economy. Packed with diagrams and illustrations, Communications Systems & Networks delivers plain-English explanations of all the technical fundamentals and puts everything in context by addressing standards, regulations, and the real-world outlook for legacy, contemporary, and emerging technologies. Whether you're a communications pro who wants to gain some perspective or you just want to understand our increasingly wired and wireless world, this is the one book you need to see the big picture, with just the right amount of detail. Inside, you'll find clear explanations of:
- Essential telecommunications concepts such as circuits, switches, multiplexers and digital and analog transmission
- Transmission media from twisted pair to satellite to optical fiber
- The basics of voice systems, including PBXs and computer telephony integration, and more
- The fundamentals of data communications, including basic LAN and WAN engineering, modems, protocol basics, and network infrastructure services
- TCP/IP and other Internet technologies and protocols that have become the foundation for next generation networks
- Emerging technologies such as DSL, CATV modems, Wireless Local Loop, SONET, and DWDM
- The future of broadband networking, including Frame Relay, ATM, Broadband ISDN, and Advanced Intelligent Networks
- Emerging trends, from network convergence to the effects of regulation, deregulation, and privatization
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Second Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 8.99(h) x 1.85(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
A must read for all existing and aspiring Networking/Telecommunications professionals! Horak has succinctly, yet thoroughly, covered basic through advance information and history on one of the most complex issues of the last and this century. In my 33 years in this industry I have never encountered such a complete treatise in one place before. A seminal work!
Easy to read style. The book is packed with info. The author seems to anticipate your questions and answers them as a part of the natural material flow. I have read close to two dozen books on telecom. This one so far is the best. Not a page wasted! Excellent for IS professionals who have already worked with the stuff, but just haven't had time to put it all together. This book does it for you.