Community/Public Health Nursing: Promoting the Health of Populations / Edition 5by Mary A. Nies, Melanie McEwen
Pub. Date: 10/11/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Covering the nurse's role in promoting community health, Community/Public Health Nursing, 5th Edition is known for its "upstream" preventive focus and social justice approach, photo novellas with clinical stories, and a concise, readable style. It shows how you, as a nurse, can take an active role in social action and health policy- especially in caring for/b>… See more details below
Covering the nurse's role in promoting community health, Community/Public Health Nursing, 5th Edition is known for its "upstream" preventive focus and social justice approach, photo novellas with clinical stories, and a concise, readable style. It shows how you, as a nurse, can take an active role in social action and health policy- especially in caring for diverse population groups. Expert authors Mary A. Nies and Melanie McEwen discuss today's issues and trends, and describe the key issues and responsibilities of contemporary community/public health nursing.
• An "upstream" focus addresses factors that are the precursors to poor health in the community.
• A "social justice" approach promotes health for everyone.
• Photo novellas use photographs to tell stories showing real-life clinical scenarios and applications of important community health nursing roles.
• Case Study: Application of the Nursing Process feature presents specific community components of the nursing process separately from individual and family.
• Clinical examples offer snippets of real-life client situations.
• Research Highlights boxes show the application of current research to chapter content.
• Ethical Insights boxes highlight ethical issues and concerns.
• Healthy People 2020 boxes summarize objectives and their importance in community health.
• Objectives, key terms, and chapter outlines introduce important concepts and terminology at the beginning of every chapter.
• Learning Activities at the end of each chapter ask you to apply concepts to the world outside the classroom.
• New Health Promotion and Risk Reduction chapter details the promotion of health and presents strategies that can identify risk factors for illness.
• Faith Community Nursing chapter reflects current terminology from the ANA's Scope and Standards of Practice, and includes more coverage of the spiritual health of clients.
• Health: A Community View chapter expands its discussion of the continual challenges and strategies associated with the delivery of health care.
• Communicable Disease chapter includes new information about public health surveillance, outbreaks, and bioterrorism.
• Cultural Diversity and Community Health Nursing chapter features new content on complementary and alternative therapies.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.70(w) x 11.10(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Introduction to Community Health Nursing 1. Health: A Community View 2. Historical Factors: Community Health Nursing in Context 3. Thinking Upstream: Nursing Theories and Population-Focused Nursing Practice 4. Health Promotion and Risk Reduction NEW! Unit 2: The Art and Science of Community Health Nursing 5. Epidemiology 6. Community Assessment 7. Community Health Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation 8. Community Health Education 9. Case Management Unit 3: Factors that Influence the Health of the Community 10. The Health Care System 11. Economics of Health Care 12. Policy, Politics, Legislation, and Community Health Nursing 13. Cultural Diversity and Community Health Nursing 14. Environmental Health 15. Globalization and International Health Unit 4: Aggregates in the Community 16. Child and Adolescent Health 17. Women's Health 18. Men's Health 19. Senior Health 20. Family Health Unit 5: Vulnerable Populations 21. Populations Affected by Disabilities 22. Homeless Populations 23. Rural and Migrant Health 24. Populations Affected by Mental Illness Unit 6: Population Health Problems 25. Communicable Disease 26. Substance Abuse 27. Violence 28. Natural and Man-made Disasters Unit 7: Community Health Settings 29. School Health 30. Occupational Health 31. Forensic and Correctional Nursing 32. Faith Community Nursing 33. Home Health and Hospice
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Focused chapters. Great information, tables, and illustrations.
Well worth the money for the student or person interested in the role of Community nursing and health.
Excellent book for student and professional!