Community/Public Health Nursing Practice - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card): Health for Families and Populations / Edition 5by Frances A. Maurer, Claudia M. Smith
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; A practical approach helps you learn and apply core concepts of community and public health nursing. This text emphasizes both community and family as client, so you’ll gain a solid understanding of these important specialties. Numerous real-life examples demonstrate your roles and responsibilities as a community health… See more details below
This is a Pageburst digital textbook; A practical approach helps you learn and apply core concepts of community and public health nursing. This text emphasizes both community and family as client, so you’ll gain a solid understanding of these important specialties. Numerous real-life examples demonstrate your roles and responsibilities as a community health nurse. Not only is this text your leading source for need-to-know information, it is the only community/public health book to devote a full chapter to screening and referral!
- A unique chapter on screening and referral details the process of early detection of disease, a significant responsibility of community/public health nursing.
- Coverage of the community as client includes each step of the nursing process as applied to the community.
- Family coverage emphasizes the importance of viewing the family as a singular client.
- A chapter on community assessment provides a complete assessment tool, with application to two different types of communities.
- Healthy People 2010 boxes, including the Midcourse Review, reinforce the primary prevention aspect of community/public health nursing.
- A unique discussion describes the difference between geopolitical and social communities.
- Student-friendly features include Focus Questions, Chapter Outlines, Key Ideas, Learning by Experience and Reflection, and Suggested Readings.
- Practical application features include Case Studies, Ethics in Practice, and The Nursing Process in Practice.
- The companion Evolve website includes critical thinking questions, scenarios, and exercises challenging you to apply concepts to clinical situations.
- The new ANA Standards for Public Health Nursing are addressed in detail, helping you prepare for population-focused practice.
- The Minnesota Wheel of public health nursing interventions, a widely accepted framework for practice, offers a model for improving population health.
- Expanded information about managed care, health care reforms, and universal health care initiatives addresses the current issues in health care delivery.
- New content about Medicare Part D addresses prescription drug coverage and how it affects health care financing for elderly people.
- Recent national disasters and lessons learned from them are highlighted in a Disaster Management chapter.
- New coverage of human exposure to environmental chemicals and the impact of global warming on health explain important risks to public health.
- Expanded coverage of health literacy helps you provide needed patient education.
- A Study Aids section in each chapter lists the resources available on the companion Evolve website.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 5.60(w) x 6.50(h) x 0.40(d)
Table of ContentsUnit 1: Role and Context of Community/Public Health Nursing Practice
1. Responsibilities for Care in Community/Public Health Nursing
2. Origins and Future of Community/Public Health Nursing
3. The United States Health Care System
4. Financing of Health Care: Context for Community/Public Health Nursing
5. International Health
6. Legal Context for Community/Public Health Nursing Practice
Unit 2: Core Concepts for the Practice of Community/Public Health Nursing
7. Epidemiology: Unraveling the Mysteries of Disease and Health
8. Communicable Diseases
9. Environmental Health Risks: At Home, at Work, and in the Community
10. Relevance of Culture and Values for Community/Public Health Nursing
Unit 3: Family as Client
11. Home Visit: Opening the Doors for Family Health
12. A Family Perspective in Community/Public Health Nursing
13. Family Case Management
14. Multiproblem Families
Unit 4: Community as Client
15. Community Assessment
16. Community Diagnosis, Planning, and Intervention
17. Evaluation of Nursing Care with Communities
Unit 5: Tools for Practice
18. Health Promotion and Risk Reduction in the Community
19. Screening and Referral
20. Health Teaching
Unit 6: Contemporary Problems in Community/Public Health Nursing
21. Vulnerable Populations
22. Disaster Management: Caring for Communities in an Emergency
23. Violence: A Social and Family Problem
24. Adolescent Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy
25. Substance Use Disorders
Unit 7: Support for Special Populations
26. Rehabilitation Clients in the Community
27. Children in the Community
28. Elderly Persons in the Community
Unit 8: Settings for Community/Public Health Nursing Practice
29. State and Local Health Departments
30. School Health
31. Home Health Care
32. Rural Health
33. Community Mental Health
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >