Concertos Italiensby Alexandre Tharaud
Pianist Alexandre Tharaud has put together a program of Bach's "Italian Concertos," (i.e., Bach's "Italian Concerto") plus a few of his transcriptions for keyboard of violin and oboe concertos by Italian composers. It's the kind of inspired program that is finally, if slowly, making its way into the world of recorded classical music, and could compete with personalized play lists, if only the artists and producers would put together more than one hour of music. Here, Tharaud could have filled out the program with two more of Bach's transcribed concertos or some of his Italianate movements from the keyboard suites. Tharaud performs what is here imaginatively, with much more color than pianists who prefer their Baroque works more straightforward. He uses everything -- variation in touch, dynamics, pedal, phrasing -- to distinguish the solo and tutti parts of the concertos. He gives the fast movements a Mediterranean sunny demeanor, exuberant, almost begging for attention; while the slow movements are beautiful in tone and shaping, mesmerizing with their philosophical, inner-monologue quality. Tharaud is best in the "Italian Concerto" and the "Concerto in G major, BWV 973," a Vivaldi transcription. He brings out the concerto qualities very successfully in these two pieces, and seems truly to enjoy playing the music as well as the music itself. The disc's sound is also warmly sunny, adding to Tharaud's hearty way with the music.
- Release Date:
- Harmonia Mundi Fr.
- Concerto for solo organ No. 5 in D minor (after Vivaldi Op. 3/11, RV 565), BWV 596 (BC J85): Sicilienne
- Concerto for solo keyboard No. 4 in G minor (after Vivaldi Op. 4/6, RV 316), BWV 975 (BC L193)
- Pastorale for organ in F major, BWV 590 (BC J81): Aria
- Italian Concerto, for solo keyboard in F major (Clavier-Übung II/1), BWV 971 (BC L7)
- Concerto for solo keyboard No. 3 in D minor (after Alessandro Marcello), BWV 974 (BC L194)
- Concerto for solo keyboard No. 10 in C minor (after Benedetto Marcello), BWV 981 (BC L195)
- Concerto for solo keyboard No. 2 in G major (after Vivaldi Op. 7/2, RV 299), BWV 973 (BC L191)
- Concerto for solo keyboard No. 8 in B minor (after Torelli), BWV 979 (BC L196): Andante
Performance CreditsAlexandre Tharaud Primary Artist
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews