Concise Guide to Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: Principles and Techniques of Brief, Intermittent, and Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy / Edition 3by Robert J. Ursano, Stephen M. Sonnenberg, Susan G. Lazar
Pub. Date: 08/28/2004
Publisher: American Psychiatric Publishing, Incorporated
Developing skills in psychodynamic psychotherapy and its techniques is a lifetime endeavor. The third edition of this volume from American Psychiatric Publishing's enduringly popular Concise Guides series serves as an excellent starting point for mastering these vital skills -- skills that can be applied to many other psychiatric treatment modalities, including
Developing skills in psychodynamic psychotherapy and its techniques is a lifetime endeavor. The third edition of this volume from American Psychiatric Publishing's enduringly popular Concise Guides series serves as an excellent starting point for mastering these vital skills -- skills that can be applied to many other psychiatric treatment modalities, including other psychotherapies, medication management, consultation-liaison psychiatry, outpatient and emergency room assessment and evaluation, and inpatient treatment.
In a compact guide -- complete with glossary, indexes, tables, charts, and relevant references -- designed to fit into a lab coat pocket, the authors • Provide the clinician with an updated introduction to the concepts and techniques of psychodynamic psychotherapy, describing their usefulness in other treatments. For example, psychodynamic listening and psychodynamic evaluation are best learned in the context of psychodynamic psychotherapy training but are applicable in many other psychiatric diagnostic and treatment methods.
• Convey the excitement and usefulness -- as well as the difficulties -- of psychodynamic psychotherapy and its techniques, including case examples.
• Show the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of psychotherapy in general, and of psychodynamic psychotherapy in particular -- issues of special importance in the evidence-based practice of medicine and mental health care.
• Explain the advantages -- and limitations -- of each form of psychodynamic psychotherapy: brief, long-term, and intermittent. For example, psychotherapists must be able to recognize patterns of interpersonal interaction without engaging in the "drama." Thus, they must learn to recognize and understand their own reactions as early indicators of events transpiring in the treatment and as potential roadblocks to a successful treatment.
Complementing more detailed, lengthier psychiatry texts, this volume's 15 densely informative chapters cover everything from basic principles to patient evaluation, resistance and defense, transference and countertransference, dreams, beginning and termination of treatment, management of practical problems, brief and supportive psychotherapy, and psychotherapy of borderline personality disorder and other severe character pathologies.
Mental health care professionals everywhere will turn to this practical guide again and again as an invaluable resource in creating and implementing effective treatment plans for their patients.
American Psychiatric Publishing
- American Psychiatric Publishing, Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Third Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 4.25(w) x 6.50(h) x 0.75(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of Contents
About the authors. Introduction to the concise guides series. Preface to the third edition. Why psychotherapy? Basic principles. Patient evaluation, I: assessment, diagnosis, and the prescription of psychotherapy. Patient evaluation, II: psychodynamic listening. Patient evaluation, III: psychodynamic evaluation. Beginning treatment. Resistance and defense. Transference. Countertransference. Dreams. Termination. Practical problems and their management. Brief psychotherapy. Psychotherapy of borderline personality disorder and other severe character pathology. Supportive psychotherapy. Appendix: a brief history of psychodynamic psychotherapy. Glossary. Author index. Subject index.
American Psychiatric Publishing
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >