Conferring with Readers: Supporting Each Student's Growth and Independence / Edition 1by Jennifer Serravallo, Gravity Goldberg
A great reading conference only takes five minutes, but its impact can last a lifetime. That's because conferences are the critical, one-to-one teaching that forms the backbone of reading instruction. Conferring with Readers shows you how to confer well and demonstrates why a few moments with students every week can put them on the path to becoming better,/b>… See more details below
A great reading conference only takes five minutes, but its impact can last a lifetime. That's because conferences are the critical, one-to-one teaching that forms the backbone of reading instruction. Conferring with Readers shows you how to confer well and demonstrates why a few moments with students every week can put them on the path to becoming better, more independent readers.
Conferring with Readers is a comprehensive guide that shows you how to determine what readers have learned and what they need to practice, then provides suggestions for targeting instruction to meet students' needs. It provides explicit teaching methods for use in effective conferences. You'll learn how to:
- research a student's use of skills through questions and observations
- compliment to support and build upon successes
- follow up on prior instruction for accountability and depth of understanding
- explain a reading strategy by providing an explicit purpose and context
- model the strategy to make the invisible brainwork of reading more visible
- guide a readerinpracticing the strategy
- link the strategy to independent reading.
Conferring with Readers presents repeatable frameworks for conferences that focus on six specific purposes of reading instruction:
- matching students to just-right books
- reinforcing students' strengths
- supporting students during whole-class studies
- helping students move from one reading level to the next
- holding students accountable for previous learning
- deepening students' conversations about books in order to deepen their thinking.
What's more, each purpose is bolstered by an appendix of conference transcripts that support your teaching.
With all this plus ideas for planning instruction, keeping records of your conferences, and even conducting group sessions, Conferring with Readers will make a big difference in how you teach reading-helping you feel confident and well equipped to foster each student's growth and independence as a reader.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.50(d)
- Age Range:
- 8 - 13 Years
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >