- The Two Congresses
- Evolution of the Modern Congress
- Going for It: Recruitment and Candidacy
- Making It: The Electoral Game
- Being There: Hill Styles and Home Styles
- Leaders and Parties in Congress
- Committees: Workshops of Congress
- Congressional Rules and Procedures
- Deliberation in Congress
- Congress and the President
- Congress and the Bureaucracy
- Congress and the Courts
- Congress and Organized Interests
- Congress, Budgets, and Domestic Policymaking
- Congress and National Security Policies
- The Two Congresses and the American People
Congress and Its Members, 14th Editionby Roger H Davidson, Walter J Oleszek, Frances E Lee, Eric Schickler
Pub. Date: 07/22/2013
Publisher: Congressional Quarterly, Inc.
Congress and Its Members is the gold standard for the Congress course. Over 13 editions, the book has offered comprehensive coverage of the U.S. Congress and the legislative process by looking at the tension between Congress as a lawmaking institution and as a collection of re-election-minded politicians. The fourteenth edition accounts for the/b>/i>/b>
Congress and Its Members is the gold standard for the Congress course. Over 13 editions, the book has offered comprehensive coverage of the U.S. Congress and the legislative process by looking at the tension between Congress as a lawmaking institution and as a collection of re-election-minded politicians. The fourteenth edition accounts for the 2012 elections and includes discussion of the agenda of the new Congress, White HouseCapitol Hill relations, party and committee leadership changes, judicial appointments, and partisan polarization, as well as covering changes to budgeting, campaign finance, lobbying, public attitudes about Congress, reapportionment, rules, and procedures. Always balancing great scholarship with currency, the book features lively case material along with relevant data, charts, exhibits, maps, and photos.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
- New co-author, Eric Schickler, brings his expertise in American politics and Congress to this edition.
- Current examples and cases drawn from recent battles over budgets, health care reform, defense, immigration, and tax policy.
- Analysis of recent political events and issues includes
- the 2012 congressional campaigns;
- elections after the post-2010 redistricting;
- party and leadership changes for the 113th Congress;
- executivelegislative relations under President Obama;
- new procedures in the House and Senate;
- budgeting in an era of huge de?cits; and
- public attitudes about Congress as dysfunctional.
- Recent scholarship has been added to every chapter, on such topics as political ambition and candidacy, elections, lobbying influence, and deliberation.
- Comprehensive coverage of Congress and the legislative process provides students with an insightful look at the tension between Congress as a lawmaking institution and as a collection of re-election-minded politicians.
- A judicious balance of great scholarship and currency provides readers with a contemporary look at the realities of the legislative institution and process
- Lively case material, along with relevant data, charts, exhibits, maps, and photos, brings concepts to life.
- All of the book's graphics are available for download in JPG and PowerPoint format.
- Congressional Quarterly, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
The itself is great but don't rent it from B&N. I received mine with a horribly bent cover and the book was marked through to the point it was unreadable. On top of that there were food wrappers in between a bunch of pages. B&N clearly did not check the quality before they sent it.