Contemplating the People's Branch : Legislative Dynamics in the Twenty First Century / Edition 1by Kelly D. Patterson, Daniel Shea
Pub. Date: 03/29/2000
Publisher: Pearson Education
This very accessible book examines theoretical arguments on the nature of representation, the election process, and leadership battles, with a sharp focus on state legislative process and a critical examination of the election process. Articles taken from journals, press, and trade books provide access to scholarship and commentary that will allow readers to make informed judgements about the performance of the U.S. Congress and the various state legislatures.Contemporary Campaigns and Elections. Managing The Legislative Process. The Complex World of Legislative Policy Making. The Fate of Legislative Bodies In America. For anyone who is interested in Congress and state legislatures.
- Pearson Education
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.29(w) x 8.99(h) x 0.73(d)
Table of Contents
I. MADISON MEETS THE WEB: CONSTITUTIONAL IDEALS IN A MODERN SOCIETY.
2. Representing the People, Edmund Burke.
3. Congress During the Convention and Ratification, Michael J. Malbin.
4. Groups Representation, and Race Conscious Districting: A Case of the Emperor's Clothes, Lani Guinier.
II. CONGRESSIONAL ELECTIONS: IS GETTING THERE HALF THE FUN?
6. The Strategic Context of Congressional Elections, Paul S. Herrnson.
7. The Day after Reform: Sobering Campaign Finance Lessons from the American States, Michael J. Malbin and Thomas L. Gais.
8. All Scandal Politics is Local: Ethical Lapses, the Media, and Congressional Elections, Daniel M. Shea.
9. Campaigns Are Like War, Linda Killian.
III. WILL THE HOUSE COME TO ORDER! MANAGING THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS.
11. Transformational Leader or Faithful Agent? Principal-Agent Theory and House Majority Party Leadership, Barbara Sinclair.
12. Legislative Leadership: Apprenticeship in the School of Chaos, Tom Loftus.
13. House Broken, Richard Lowry.
14. Little Theatre: Committees in Congress, Tim Groseclose and David C. King.
15. The Driving Force of Bud Shuster, Jeff Plungis.
IV. PURISTS AND PRAGMATISTS: THE COMPLEX WORLD OF LEGISLATIVE POLICY MAKING.
17. Participation in Congress: Introduction, Richard L. Hall.
18. Congressional Leadership of Public Opinion, Lawrence R. Jacobs, Robert Y. Shapiro, and Steven S. Smith.
19. The Washington Higher Education Community: Moving beyond Lobbying 101, Constance E. Cook.
V. FUTURE SHOCK: THE FATE OF LEGISLATIVE BODIES IN AMERICA.
21. Congress Bashing: External Pressures for Reform and the Future of the Institution, Norman J. Ornstein and Amy L. Schenkenberg.
22. Into the Twenty-First Century: Will Women Break the Political Glass Ceiling?,Jean Reith Schroedel and Nicola Mazumdar.
23. The Home Style Homepage: Legislator Use of the World Wide Web for Constituency Contact, E. Scott Adler, Chariti E. Gent, and Cary B. Overmeyer.
24. How Will Congress Navigate the New Media Maelstrom?, Carroll J. Doherty.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >