Contemporary English 1 Student Book / Edition 2by Jeanne Becijos, Jan Forstrom, Thomas McNemara, Christy Newman
Pub. Date: 12/24/2002
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Companies, The
Contemporary English second edition has refined the content and skills adult ESL students need to know to survive and thrive living in the United States. The emphasis on grammar, vocabulary, graphic literacy, critical thinking skills, life skills, and workplace skills has all been retained and presented in meaningful contexts through topics of high interest/i>… See more details below
Contemporary English second edition has refined the content and skills adult ESL students need to know to survive and thrive living in the United States. The emphasis on grammar, vocabulary, graphic literacy, critical thinking skills, life skills, and workplace skills has all been retained and presented in meaningful contexts through topics of high interest to adult students. Lessons are self-contained, remaining appropriate for both standard and open enrollment situations.
Student Book Features
- Student Book interiors are now in 4-color with more real-life photographs.
- New vocabulary is introduced twice in each student unit along with practice exercises. It is then recycled throughout the series for maximum exposure. Specific workbook practice, plus one activity master per unit in the Teacher's Edition extends this exposure.
- Grammar structures are presented then recycled twice throughout the series - first in an informal review and second in a formal review - to enable students to revisit and expand upon their grammar acquistion. The 2nd edition provides for a more logical progression of grammar scope and sequence.
- Organizing Your Ideas (Books 1 and 2 only) teaches students how to think graphically using organizers like idea maps, Venn Diagrams, and T-charts.
- Graphic Literacy Activities (Books 3 and 4 only) familiarize students with bar graphs, tables, and charts to help them understand what they read on the job or in the newspapers.
- Community involvement focus - one page per unit, tied in specifically with the unit topic - helps students become more participatory in their jobs, communities, and families. Notes in the Annotated Teacher;s Editions also provide more ideas for student participation.
Components per Level
- Student Book
- Student Workbook
- Annotated Teacher's Edition
- Audiocassette Package
- Audio CD Package
- Conversation Cards (20 cards with instruction booklet)
Table of Contents
Contemporary English Book 1 Unit 1: Friends and Family Community Involvement: Using the Post Office Unit 2: People in the Workplace Community Involvement: Using the State Employment Office Unit 3: Helpers in the Community Community Involvement: Calling 911 Unit 4: Neighbors Helping Neighbors Community Involvement: Using the Tenants' or Neighborhood Association Unit 5: Eating Health Food Community Involvement: Finding Farmers' Markets Unit 6: Road Trip Community Involvement: Calling a Towing Service Unit 7: Asking for a Raise Community Involvement: Finding Free Job Training Unit 8: Hobbies and Free Time Community Involvement: Comparing Free and Cable TV Unit 9: Adult Ed and the GED Community Involvement: Finding a GED Program Unit 10: Managing Your Money Community Involvement: Comparing Checking Accounts
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >