Ships same day or next business day! UPS expedited shipping available (Priority Mail for AK/HI/APO/PO Boxes). Used sticker & some writing and/or highlighting. Used books may not ...include working access code or dust jacketRead moreShow Less
Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. FAST, reliable shipping with free tracking and a 100% money-back guarantee from a socially responsible company ...with thousands of happy customers. Expedited shipping available. Read moreShow Less
2010 Paperback Good Books have varying amounts of wear and highlighting. Usually ships within 24 hours in quality packaging. Satisfaction guaranteed. This item may not include ...any CDs, Infotracs, Access cards or other supplementary material.Read moreShow Less
2010 Paperback Good Connecting readers with great books since 1972. Used books may not include companion materials, some shelf wear, may contain highlighting/notes, and may not ...include cd-rom or access codes. Customer service is our top priority!Read moreShow Less
2011 Paperback 2011. A good used copy with clean pages, usual school markings and moderate cover wear. Book only-does not include additional resources. Booksavers receives ...donated books and recycles them in a variety of ways. Proceeds benefit the work of Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in the U.S. and around the world.Read moreShow Less
Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management, 5th Edition prepares you for the rapidly evolving world of health care. It provides a comprehensive, yet focused overview of nursing topics affecting practice and issues facing today's nurse managers and tomorrow's nurse leaders. Written by well-known educators Barbara Cherry and Susan R. Jacob, this edition is fully revised and updated, giving you the most practical, balanced preparation for the issues, trends, and management topics you'll encounter in practice.
A full-color design helps illustrate concepts and enhances readability.
Colorful, humorous cartoons introduce the chapter themes.
Real-life Vignettes at the beginning of each chapter put nursing history and practice into perspective.
Questions to Consider While Reading This Chapter reflect on the Vignettes and prepare you for the material to follow.
Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, and Chapter Overviews help you study more efficiently.
Coverage of leadership and management in nursing prepares you to function effectively in management roles.
Coverage of career management provides strategies on how to make the transition from student to practitioner and tips on how to pass the NCLEX-RN® Examination.
Safe and effective decision making is emphasized with a new Quality and Safety in Nursing Education (QSEN) chapter that highlights the six core quality competencies for working in a quality-focused system, plus new information on clinical practice guidelines and innovations in health care delivery.
A focus on the nursing role includes new content on the jurisprudence examinations now required in many states, and additional content on contemporary ethical issues such as stem cell research, surrogate parenting, abortion, and gene typing.
Coverage of teamwork and cultural sensitivity prepares you to work and communicate as team members across gender and cultural divides.
Communication skills are promoted with new examples of effective and ineffective e-mail communication and a stronger focus on conflict management among coworkers.
Coverage of nursing leadership includes the history, pros, and cons of collective bargaining in a new chapter, and relationships of cost, quality, and value in healthcare including issues such as "never events" and pay-for-performance.
Nursing opportunities now include coverage of palliative care.
Resourceson the companion Evolve website include new Case Studies, interactive Student Learning Activities, and a Resume Builder.
Free access to the MERLIN website is included with the text.
"Cherry (nursing, Texas Tech U. Health Sciences Center) and Jacob (nursing, U. of Tennessee Health Science Center) offer a textbook for nursing students and practicing nurses to the issues and strategies involved in contemporary nursing from the patient care level to the national legislative arena that can improve care, the health care system, and the profession. The 28 chapters written by American nursing specialists include discussion of issues such as health care financing and economics, complementary and alternative healing, the nursing shortage, technology, leadership and management, and career management. This edition has new chapters on quality and safety education and collective bargaining; updated safety coverage throughout the text; new content on the jurisprudence exams and discussions of ethical and bioethical issues such as stem cell research, surrogate parenting, abortion, and gene typing; more emphasis on communication skills; discussions of "never events," pay-for-performance, and the relationship of cost, quality, and value in health care delivery; new case studies; and new coverage of technologies, disaster planning, legal issues, and the 2010 NCLEX-RN Examination Test Plan. Activities, case studies, questions, and other resources are available online."
Unit I: Development of Nursing 1. The Evolution of Professional Nursing
2. The Contemporary Image of Professional Nursing
3. The Influence of Contemporary Trends and Issues on Nursing Education
4. Nursing Licensure and Certification
5. Theories of Nursing Practice
6. Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice Unit II: Current Issues in Health Care 7. Paying for Healthcare in America: Rising Costs and Challenges
8. Legal Issues in Nursing and Health Care
9. Ethical and Bioethical Issues in Nursing and Health Care
10. Cultural Competency and Social Issues in Nursing and Health Care
11. Complementary and Alternative Healing
12. Workplace Advocacy and the Nursing Shortage
13. Collective Bargaining and Unions in Today's Workplace NEW!
14. Information Technology in the Clinical Setting
15. Emergency Preparedness and Response for Today's World Unit III: Leadership and Management in Nursing
16. Nursing Leadership and Management
17. Budgeting Basics for Nurses
18. Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution
19. Effective Delegation and Supervision
20. Staffing and Nursing Care Delivery Models
21. Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
22. Quality and Safety in Nursing Education (QSEN)
23. Health Policy and Politics: Get Involved! Unit IV: Career Management
24. Making the Transition from Student to Professional Nurse
25. Managing Time: The Path to High Self-Performance
26. Contemporary Nursing Roles and Career Opportunities
27. Job Search: Finding Your Match
28. NCLEX-RN® Examination