Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management / Edition 5by Barbara Cherry, Susan R. Jacob
Pub. Date: 08/18/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management, 5th Edition prepares you for the rapidly evolving world of health care. It provides a comprehensive, yet focused overview of nursing topics affecting practice and issues facing today's nurse managers and tomorrow's nurse leaders. Written by well-known educators Barbara Cherry and Susan R. Jacob, this/b>
Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management, 5th Edition prepares you for the rapidly evolving world of health care. It provides a comprehensive, yet focused overview of nursing topics affecting practice and issues facing today's nurse managers and tomorrow's nurse leaders. Written by well-known educators Barbara Cherry and Susan R. Jacob, this edition is fully revised and updated, giving you the most practical, balanced preparation for the issues, trends, and management topics you'll encounter in practice.
- A full-color design helps illustrate concepts and enhances readability.
- Colorful, humorous cartoons introduce the chapter themes.
- Real-life Vignettes at the beginning of each chapter put nursing history and practice into perspective.
- Questions to Consider While Reading This Chapter reflect on the Vignettes and prepare you for the material to follow.
- Key Terms, Learning Outcomes, and Chapter Overviews help you study more efficiently.
- Coverage of leadership and management in nursing prepares you to function effectively in management roles.
- Coverage of career management provides strategies on how to make the transition from student to practitioner and tips on how to pass the NCLEX-RN® Examination.
- Safe and effective decision making is emphasized with a new Quality and Safety in Nursing Education (QSEN) chapter that highlights the six core quality competencies for working in a quality-focused system, plus new information on clinical practice guidelines and innovations in health care delivery.
- A focus on the nursing role includes new content on the jurisprudence examinations now required in many states, and additional content on contemporary ethical issues such as stem cell research, surrogate parenting, abortion, and gene typing.
- Coverage of teamwork and cultural sensitivity prepares you to work and communicate as team members across gender and cultural divides.
- Communication skills are promoted with new examples of effective and ineffective e-mail communication and a stronger focus on conflict management among coworkers.
- Coverage of nursing leadership includes the history, pros, and cons of collective bargaining in a new chapter, and relationships of cost, quality, and value in healthcare including issues such as "never events" and pay-for-performance.
- Nursing opportunities now include coverage of palliative care.
- Resources on the companion Evolve website include new Case Studies, interactive Student Learning Activities, and a Resume Builder.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.50(w) x 9.10(h) x 1.10(d)
Table of Contents
Unit I: Development of Nursing
1. The Evolution of Professional Nursing
2. The Contemporary Image of Professional Nursing
3. The Influence of Contemporary Trends and Issues on Nursing Education
4. Nursing Licensure and Certification
5. Theories of Nursing Practice
6. Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
Unit II: Current Issues in Health Care
7. Paying for Healthcare in America: Rising Costs and Challenges
8. Legal Issues in Nursing and Health Care
9. Ethical and Bioethical Issues in Nursing and Health Care
10. Cultural Competency and Social Issues in Nursing and Health Care
11. Complementary and Alternative Healing
12. Workplace Advocacy and the Nursing Shortage
13. Collective Bargaining and Unions in Today's Workplace NEW!
14. Information Technology in the Clinical Setting
15. Emergency Preparedness and Response for Today's World
Unit III: Leadership and Management in Nursing
16. Nursing Leadership and Management
17. Budgeting Basics for Nurses
18. Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution
19. Effective Delegation and Supervision
20. Staffing and Nursing Care Delivery Models
21. Quality Improvement and Patient Safety
22. Quality and Safety in Nursing Education (QSEN)
23. Health Policy and Politics: Get Involved!
Unit IV: Career Management
24. Making the Transition from Student to Professional Nurse
25. Managing Time: The Path to High Self-Performance
26. Contemporary Nursing Roles and Career Opportunities
27. Job Search: Finding Your Match
28. NCLEX-RN® Examination
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Very thorough in detailing Nursing Issues since Nursing become a Profession. Good Resource for all levels of Nursing.
Overall this is a very good book however, it is very similar to the Nursing Research book I used last semester.