- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The perfect guide for anyone interested in the great philosophers, this volume explains in lucid, straightforward language the split between Continental and Anglo-American philosophy and the importance of acknowledging Continental philosophy.
About the Series: Combining authority with wit, accessibility, and style, Very Short Introductions offer an introduction to some of life's most interesting topics. Written by experts for the newcomer, they demonstrate the finest contemporary thinking about the central problems and issues in hundreds of key topics, from philosophy to Freud, quantum theory to Islam.
List of Illustrations
1. The gap between knowledge and wisdom
2. Origins of Continental Philosophy - How to get from Kant to German Idealism
3. Two Cultures in Philosophy - the need for both spectacles and eyes to see with
4. Can philosophy change the world? Critique, praxis, emancipation
5. What is to be done? How to respond to nihilism
6. A case study in misunderstanding: Heidegger and Carnap
7. Scientism versus obscurantism: avoiding the traditional predicament in philosophy
8. Sapere aude - the exhaustion of theory and the promise of philosophy