Core Java Volume I--Fundamentals / Edition 9by Cay S. Horstmann, Gary Cornell
Pub. Date: 12/11/2012
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Core Java® has long been recognized as the #1, no-nonsense tutorial and reference for experienced programmers who want to write robust Java code for real-world applications. Now, Core Java®, Volume 1—Fundamentals, Tenth Edition, has been extensively updated to reflect the most eagerly awaited and innovative version of/b>/i>/b>/i>… See more details below
Core Java® has long been recognized as the #1, no-nonsense tutorial and reference for experienced programmers who want to write robust Java code for real-world applications. Now, Core Java®, Volume 1—Fundamentals, Tenth Edition, has been extensively updated to reflect the most eagerly awaited and innovative version of Java in years: Java SE 8. Rewritten and reorganized to illuminate new Java SE 8 features, idioms, and best practices, it contains hundreds of example programs—all carefully crafted for easy understanding and practical applicability.
Writing for serious programmers solving serious problems, Cay Horstmann helps you achieve a deep understanding of the Java language and library, not a mere illusion of understanding. In this first volume, Horstmann focuses on fundamental language concepts and the foundations of modern user interface programming. You’ll find in-depth coverage of topics ranging from Java object-oriented programming to generics, collections, lambda expressions, Swing UI design, and the latest approaches to concurrency and functional programming. This guide will help you
- Leverage your existing programming knowledge to quickly master core Java syntax
- Make the most of Java object orientation, starting with encapsulation, classes, and inheritance
- Master interfaces, inner classes, and Java SE 8’s lambda expressions for functional programming
- Improve program robustness with exception handling and effective debugging
- Write safer, more readable programs with generics and strong typing
- Use pre-built collections to collect multiple objects for later retrieval
- Master core GUI programming techniques from the ground up
- Build modern cross-platform GUIs with standard Swing components
- Deploy configurable applications and applets, and deliver them across the Internet
- Simplify concurrency and enhance performance with new functional techniques
If you’re an experienced programmer moving to Java SE 8, Core Java®, Tenth Edition, will be your reliable, practical companion—now and for many years to come.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: An Introduction to Java Chapter 2: The Java Programming Environment Chapter 3: Fundamental Programming Structures in Java Chapter 4: Objects and Classes Chapter 5: Inheritance Chapter 6: Interfaces and Inner Classes Chapter 7: Graphics Programming Chapter 8: Event Handling Chapter 9: User Interface Components with Swing Chapter 10: Deploying Applications and Applets Chapter 11: Exceptions, Logging, Assertions, and Debugging Chapter 12: Generic Programming Chapter 13: Collections Chapter 14: Multithreading
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Must have desk reference for any Java developer. Well written, excellent index. I can't wait for Volume II - Advanced Features.