Cornel West: A Critical Reader / Edition 1by George Yancy
Pub. Date: 08/30/2001
This comprehensive text offers a systematic and thematic approach to West's philosophical work. It moves the reader through his distinctive form of prophetic pragmatism, his historicist and improvisational philosophy of religion, his socialist democratic and truncated Marxist political philosophy, and his reflections on a range of cultural issues. See more details below
This comprehensive text offers a systematic and thematic approach to West's philosophical work. It moves the reader through his distinctive form of prophetic pragmatism, his historicist and improvisational philosophy of religion, his socialist democratic and truncated Marxist political philosophy, and his reflections on a range of cultural issues.
Table of Contents
Notes on Contributors.
Cornel West: The Vanguard of Existential and Democratic Hope: George Yancy.
Part I: Pragmatism:.
1. Pragmatism Resurgent: A Reading of The American Evasion of Philosophy: Hilary W. Putnam.
2.The Unacknowledged Fourth Tradition: An Essay on Nihilism, Decadence, and the Black Intellectual Tradition in the Existential Pragmatic Thought of Cornel West: Lewis R. Gordon.
3. Cornel West on Prophesy, Pragmatism, and Philosophy: A Critical Evaluation of Prophetic Pragmatism: Clevis Headley.
4. Which Pragmatism? Whose America?: Eduardo Mendieta.
Part II: Philosophy of Religion:.
5. "Let Suffering Speak": The Vocation of a Black Intellectual: James H. Cone.
6. Religion and the Mirror of God: Historicism, Truth and Religious Pluralism: George Yancy.
7. Is Cornel West Also Among the Theologians? The Shadow of the Divine in the Religious Thought of Cornel West: Victor Anderson.
8. Cornel West's Improvisational Philosophy of Religion : M. Shawn Copeland.
9. Existential Aptness and Epistemological Correctness: Cornel West and the Identity of the "Lord": Josiah Ulysses Young, III.
Part III: Political Philosophy:.
10. Cornel West on Gender and Family: Some Admiring and Critical Comments: Iris M. Young.
11. Prophetic Pragmatism as Political Philosophy : Charles W. Mills.
12. "Radical Historicism," Antiphilosophy, and Marxism: John P. Pittman.
13. Cornel West and Afro-Nihilism: A Reconsideration: Floyd W. Hayes, III.
14. On Cornel West on W. E. B. Du Bois: Lucius T. Outlaw, Jr.
15. The Political Philosophy and Humanism of Cornel West: Howard McGary, Jr.
Part IV: Cultural Studies:.
16. "It's Dark and Hell is Hot": Cornel West, the Crisis of African-American Intellectuals and the Cultural Politics of Race: Peniel E. Joseph.
17. Reading Cornel West as a Humanistic Scholar: Rhetoric and Practice: Clarence Shole Johnson.
18. Cornel West's Representations of the Intellectual: But Some of Us Are Brave?: Nada Elia.
Afterword: Cornel West.
Select Bibliography of Cornel West's Works.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >