Book has appearance of light use with no easily noticeable wear. Millions of satisfied customers and climbing. Thriftbooks is the name you can trust, guaranteed. Spend Less. Read ...More. Read moreShow Less
Corrections in the 21st Century takes a practical approach to introducing students to the ideas and practices characteristic of modern corrections. It equips them with the skills necessary to succeed in the field. Its three-pronged approach to corrections includes a thorough description of correctional ideology, including professionalism, policy issues, and society's avowed goals for the correctional enterprise; a comprehensive overview of correctional practice, including the everyday operations of correctional agencies, prisons, jails, and the procedures of parole and probation; and the development of personal skills that are applicable to the corrections field. A central theme throughout the text is professionalism in corrections.
The Tutorial with Simulation Applications that accompanies the text is a browser-based version of the textbook on CD-ROM. It includes key words, activities, and review games. Simulations on the CD present real-world situations for students to apply chapter concepts. Student responses receive immediate feedback regarding the appropriateness of their responses.
1. Corrections: The Profession
2. Sentencing: To Punish or To Reform?3. Punishments: A Brief History
4. Jails: Way Stations Along the Justice Highway
5. Diversion and Probation: Alternatives to Imprisonment
6. Intermediate Sanctions: Corrections in the Community
7. Prisons Today: Change Stations or Warehouses?8. The Staff World: Managing the Prison Population
9. The Inmate World: Living Behind Bars
10. Legal Aspects: Prisons and the Courts
11. The Prison Environment: Issues and Concerns
12. Parole: Early Release and Reintegration
13. Death: The Ultimate Sanction
14. Juvenile Corrections: End of an Era?15. The Victim: Role in the Correctional Process
16. Careers: Your Future in Corrections