The Cosmic Perspectiveby Jeffrey O. Bennett, Mark Voit, Nicholas Schneider, Megan Donahue
Pub. Date: 01/01/1999
In this accessible, student-friendly text, astronomy is treated as a fundamental human endeavor rather than an enterprise reserved for professionals. The authors engage readers' curiosity through cutting-edge material that focuses on the themes of human achievement, physics in the universe, continuity of matter, the dynamic systems that sustain life, and astronomy and… See more details below
In this accessible, student-friendly text, astronomy is treated as a fundamental human endeavor rather than an enterprise reserved for professionals. The authors engage readers' curiosity through cutting-edge material that focuses on the themes of human achievement, physics in the universe, continuity of matter, the dynamic systems that sustain life, and astronomy and physics as foundations for our world view. Text discussions are complemented by a distinctive art program, with figures not seen before in astronomy texts. A rich website includes resources and coverage of current events.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.52(w) x 10.83(h) x 0.92(d)
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE.
1. Our Place in the Universe.
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself.
3. The Science of Astronomy.
S1. Celestial Timekeeping and Navigation.
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY.
4. A Universe of Matter and Energy.
5. Universal Motion.
6. Light: The Cosmic Messenger.
7. Telescopes: Portals of Discovery.
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS.
8. Our Solar System: An Introduction and Overview.
9. Formation of the Solar System.
10. Planetary Geology: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds.
11. Planetary Atmospheres: Earth and the Other Terrestrial Worlds.
12. Jovian Planet Systems.
13. Remnants of Rock and Ice: Asteroids, Comets, and Pluto.
14. Planet Earth and Its Lessons on Life in the Universe.
IV. A DEEPER LOOK AT NATURE.
S2. Space and Time.
S3. Spacetime and Gravity.
S4. Building Blocks of the Universe.
15. Our Star.
17. Star Stuff.
18. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard.
VI. GALAXIES AND BEYOND.
19. Our Galaxy.
20. Galaxies: From Here to the Horizon.
21. Galaxy Evolution.
22. Dark Matter and the Fate of the Universe.
23. The Beginning of Time.
24. Life in the Universe.
Appendix A: A Few Mathematical Skills.
Appendix B: The Periodic Table of the Elements.
Appendix C: Planetary Data.
Appendix D: Stellar Data.
Appendix F: Key Equations.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >