- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This innovative book helps readers develop a personal philosophy and an artful approach to teaching. This text uses the premise that teacher choices set the stage for a balanced approach to art education that considers the child, society, and the curriculum. This book provides information regarding artistic development, artistic behavior and methodology for developing curriculum across the developmental spectrum. The reader is directly addressed as each chapter presents recent research along with important concepts to understand, focuses on different aspects of art education, and outlines advantages and challenges of making the suggested choices, and also includes suggested activities so readers can act upon content. For art teachers at the elementary or secondary education level or students studying to be art teachers.
I. TEACHER AS CHOICE MAKER.
1. Choosing to Become a Teacher of Art.
2. Understanding the Learner.
II. CHOICES FOR CREATING MEANING.
3. Cultivating Artistic Behaviors.
4. Engaging Learners with Art Images.
5. Encouraging Visual Storytelling.
6. Using Artistic Strategies.
7. Shaping Elegant Problems for Visual Thinking.
8. Designing Units for Conceptual Thinking.
III. ARTFUL TEACHING.
9. Teaching as an Art Form: Creating Meaning Through Art.
Appendix A. National Visual Arts Standards.