- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Appropriate for Elementary or Secondary Art Education Courses. By introducing pre-service and in-service art educators to the power of art as a vehicle for creating meaning, this innovative book helps readers develop a personal philosophy and an artful approach to teaching. This text uses the premise that teacher choices set the stage for a balanced approach to art education that considers the child, society, and the curriculum. Since choices that teachers make impact what students learn, a variety of important choices that determine what and how students learn are presented and analyzed.
I. TEACHER AS CHOICE MAKER.
1. Choosing to Become a Teacher of Art.
2. Understanding the Learner.
II. CHOICES FOR CREATING MEANING.
3. Cultivating Artistic Behaviors.
4. Engaging Learners with Art Images.
5. Encouraging Visual Storytelling.
6. Using Artistic Strategies.
7. Shaping Elegant Problems for Visual Thinking.
8. Designing Units for Conceptual Thinking.
III. ARTFUL TEACHING.
9. Teaching as an Art Form: Creating Meaning Through Art.
Appendix A. National Visual Arts Standards.