Creative Interventions with Traumatized Children, Second Edition / Edition 2by Cathy A. Malchiodi, Bruce D. Perry
Pub. Date: 10/21/2014
Publisher: Guilford Publications, Inc.
A trusted, bestselling resource, this volume demonstrates a range of creative approaches for facilitating children's emotional reparation and recovery from trauma. Experts in play, art, music, movement, and drama therapy, as well as bibliotherapy, describe step-by-step strategies for working with children, families, and groups. Rich with case material and
A trusted, bestselling resource, this volume demonstrates a range of creative approaches for facilitating children's emotional reparation and recovery from trauma. Experts in play, art, music, movement, and drama therapy, as well as bibliotherapy, describe step-by-step strategies for working with children, families, and groups. Rich with case material and artwork, the book is both practical and user-friendly. Specific types of stressful experiences include parental loss, child abuse, family violence, bullying, and mass trauma. Important developments in neurobiology, self-regulation, and resilience and posttraumatic growth are highlighted in this substantial revision.
New to This Edition:
*Chapters on art therapy and EMDR, body maps and dissociation, sandtray play, resiliency-based movement therapy, work with clay, mindfulness, and stress reduction with music therapy.
*Updated and expanded discussions of trauma-informed therapy and the neurobiological basis for creative interventions.
*The chapter on mass violence has been extensively rewritten with new case material on the Sandy Hook school shooting.
Table of Contents
I. Creative Interventions and Children: Basics of Practice
1. Neurobiology, Creative Interventions, and Childhood Trauma, Cathy A. Malchiodi
2. Ethics, Evidence, Trauma-Informed Practice, and Cultural Sensitivity, Cathy A. Malchiodi
II. Applications with Children and Adolescents
3. Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing and Art Therapy with Traumatized Children, Madoka Takada Urhausen
4. Music and Grief Work with Children and Adolescents, Russell E. Hilliard
5. Art Therapy as an Intervention for Mass Terrorism and Violence, Laura V. Loumeau-May, Ellie Seibel-Nicol, Mary Pellicci Hamilton, & Cathy A. Malchiodi
6. Treating Dissociation in Traumatized Children with Body Maps, Bart Santen
7. Therapeutic Stories and Play in the Sandtray with Traumatized Children: The Moving Stories Method, Susanne Carroll Duffy
8. Dance/Movement Therapy with Refugee and Survivor Children: A Healing Pathway Is a Creative Process, Amber Elizabeth Gray
9. The Clay Field and Developmental Trauma in Children, Cornelia Elbrecht
III. Applications with Families and Groups
10. Creative Crisis Intervention Techniques with Children and Families, Lennis G. Echterling & Anne L. Stewart
11. Vanquishing Monsters: Group Drama Therapy for Treating Trauma, Craig Haen
12. Trauma-Informed Art Therapy and Group Intervention with Children from Violent Homes, Cathy A. Malchiodi
IV. Creative Interventions as Prevention
13. Bullying, Trauma, and Creative Art Interventions: Building Resilience and Supporting Prevention, Margaret M. McGuinness & Kathy J. Schnur
14. Focusing-Oriented Expressive Arts Therapy and Mindfulness with Children and Adolescents, Laury Rappaport
15. Sounds of Strength: Music Therapy for Hospitalized Children at Risk for Traumatization, Claire M. Ghetti & Annette M. Whitehead-Pleaux
Appendix: Resources for Work with Traumatized Children
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews