Creative Thinking and Arts-Based Learning: Preschool Through Fourth Grade / Edition 4by Joan Packer Isenberg
Pub. Date: 06/29/2005
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Creative Thinking and Arts-Based Learning prepares preservice and inservice teachers to know why children's creative thinking and play are so important, know about children's play and creative thinking, and also know how to provide these experiences within the curriculum. It contains extensive coverage of the roles, responsibilities, and strategies… See more details below
Creative Thinking and Arts-Based Learning prepares preservice and inservice teachers to know why children's creative thinking and play are so important, know about children's play and creative thinking, and also know how to provide these experiences within the curriculum. It contains extensive coverage of the roles, responsibilities, and strategies that lead to a more child-centered, play-based curriculum.
An Applied Approach
- Many instructional guidelines and classroom strategies are presented throughout the text for integrating creative thinking and play into learning.
- Cases about preschoolers, K-2nd graders, and 3rd-4th graders open each chapter and show readers how teachers infuse the arts into learning.
- Meeting Standards. This new feature discusses how to provide for creativity in classrooms while also meeting state and national standards.
- Frequently Asked Questions. Another new feature poses common questions about issues, such as what materials and resources to use, how to adapt environments for diverse learners, and how to foster and assess creative thought. Misconceptions are dispelled with research-based answers.
A Theoretical Approach
- Solid theory underlies all of the content. The authors' experience as university professors and practitioners is evident in their clear presentation of relevant theory.
A Reflective Approach
- Teacher's Reflections in each chapter tell readers what other preservice and inservice teachers are thinking and doing in their classrooms relative to their experiences with the arts.
Resources: Instructor's Manual andtest Bank, PowerPoint Slides
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.48(w) x 9.06(h) x 0.77(d)
Table of Contents
PART I FOUNDATIONS OF CREATIVE THOUGHT
Chapter 1-Understanding Children's Creative Thought and Expression
Chapter 2-Supporting Children's Play, Games, and Inventions
Chapter 3-Promoting Children's Art
PART II THE FINE ARTS
Chapter 4-Engaging Children in Music, Movement, and Dance
Chapter 5-Inviting Children's Participation in the Dramatic Arts
PART III CREATIVE TEACHING
Chapter 6-Planning and Managing the Classroom Environment
Chapter 7-Using Classroom Materials and Resources Effectively
Chapter 8-Fostering Creative Thought and Expression
Chapter 9-Assessing the Creative Processes and Products of Children
Chapter 10-Developing an Appreciation for Children's Creative Work in Diverse Families and Communities
Appendix A: Dance Prop Box
Appendix B: Published Rating Scales to Evaluate Preschool Settings
Appendix C: Noncompetitive Games for Children
Appendix D: Observations of Medical Play
Appendix E: Case Study: Dittos and Elegant Costumes
Appendix F: Resources for Play Materials
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >