Read an Excerpt
Cutting Basics: A Beginner and Refresher’s Course
Each of the cutting exercises throughout this book will help you become familiar with the basic Cricut keypad buttons. These basic buttons are the same on every Cricut cartridge. Once you understand how to use these buttons and the shortcuts they provide, creating becomes a snap.
Cutting Exercise :
Load Paper, Unload Paper,
Shift, and Shift Lock
• Regular cardstock
• Plantin Schoolbook Cartridge or other font cartridge
1. Place a 4" x 12" piece of cardstock on the mat in Home Position.
2. Plug in the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge (or any font cartridge) and place the keypad overlay in place on the top of the machine.
3. Turn on the machine.
4. Set the blade to 5, the speed to 4, and the pressure to 5.
5. Change the Size Dial on the far right to 2".
Note: The #2 will appear above the size on the display screen. 6. Hold the mat firmly with both hands and slide the mat under the blade. Note: Your mat should be aligned with the left side of the machine.
7. With the mat now in position, press the Load Paper button and help to guide the mat as it loads.
Note: Do not let go of the mat until after you have pressed the Load Paper button. Letting go before pressing Load Paper could cause the machine to load incorrectly. If this occurs, press Unload Paper and restart the loading process.
8. Type the word “welcome” on the keypad.
9. Press the Cut button.