Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction / Edition 7by Frank Schmalleger
Pub. Date: 03/28/2007
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Here it is! The new, full-color update to Frank Schmalleger's Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction. With the release of this fourth edition update, Prentice Hall has created the first, introductory criminal justice text limited only by your students` curiosity. It is a book without borders. Take a look at the following new features, all designed to give your students maximum learning potential in anew arid fun way. Schmalleger is changing the way introductory criminal justice is learnedagain!
- ALL NEW 4-color design!
- Discussion of the U.S. Supreme Court's year 2000 decision in Dickerson vs. U.S.
- Expansion of the discussion about NIBRS (the FBI's new National Incident-Based Reporting System)
- Refinements to the discussion about get- tough-on-crime legislation, specifically "three-strikes-and-you're-out" laws
- ALL NEW crime statistics
- ALL NEW prison and jail statistics
- ALL NEW probation aura parole statistics
- ALL NEW drug crime statistics
- ALL NEW statistics involving women and crime and minorities and crime
All maintained in this UPDATE:
Web Extras! These built-in hyperlinks take students to, crime and justice-related Web sites. interspersed throughout every chapter, Web Extras! include the FBI's borne page, a virtual torn- of the U.S. Supreme Court, an in-depth history of the Columbine High School shootings, a special Macromedia Flash® presentation on "Crimes that Shaped the Twentieth Century," and much more!
Library Extras! These end-of-chapter; Web-based "additional readings' lead students to Web-documents that expand on materials and conceptsfound in the text in a new arid fun way. Included among the nearly 100 Library Extras! found in this edition are documents such as the new Challenge of Crime in a Free Society (1998), Perspectives on Crime and Justice (1999), and Race, Crime, and t!-re Administration of Justice (1999).
Web Quests! Found at the end of each chapter-, these Wets-based assignments are designed to teach students how to use the Internet to research topics and to find information in the criminal justice area.
Audio Extras! These chapter-specific audio introductions have been recorded by tile author to provide additional insight into the workings of the justice system, and are available to anyone with an Internet connection and free RealPlayer® or MediaPlayer® software. The fourth edition update includes new coverage of the Columbine High School shootings; the infamous hate-crime based Texas pickup truck dragging death; the killing of Amadou Diallo, the 22-year-old, unarmed black West African immigrant who was shot at 41 times by white members of the NYPD; the Michigan murder conviction of Nathaniel Abraham, who was 11 years old at tile time of the killing; the 1999 Wedgwood Baptist church shooting, and much more.
Available supplements include:
- Your Criminal Justice Career: A Guidebook (ISBN 0-13-085204-X)
- A comprehensive Student Study Guide (ISBN 0-13-093681-2)
- State-specific supplements for NY, CA, IL, Fl., and TX
- Miranda Revisited (ISBN 0-13-091103-8)
- The Definitive Guide to Criminal Justice and Criminology an the World Wide Web (ISBN 0-13-091590-4)
- Drug Bust and Murder One CD-ROMs (Drug Bust ISBN 0-13-754748-X; Murder- One ISBN 0-13-864026-2)
An enlarged Instructor's Resource Guide, over 900 PowerPoint slides, expanded Prentice Hall/ABC News Video Library, and an improved Prentice Hall Custom Test database are just some of the new and updated features available to instructors.
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 8.20(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.50(d)
Table of ContentsPreface.
About the Author.
I. CRIME IN AMERICA.1. What Is Criminal Justice?
2. The Crime Picture.
3. Criminal Law.
4. Police Management.
5. Policing: Legal Aspects.
6. Issues in Policing.
7. The Courts.
8. The Courtroom Work Group and the Criminal Trial.
10. Probation, Parole, and Community Corrections.
11. Prisons and Jails.
12. Prison Life.
Appendix: The Bill of Rights.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >