- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Critical Issues for Student Affairs tackles the most pressing issues facing the profession of student affairs today. Covering a wide range of topics from diversity to sources of revenue to staff retention and written by two of the most experienced and qualified leaders in the student services arena, this book is sure to have a lasting legacy among all whose job it is to care about students' educational experience at colleges and universities.
"It is hoped that the volume will be useful to current student affairs professionals engaged in program review, long-range planning, and unit evaluation. We believe that this volume will provide information and perspectives to sitting vice presidents and deans as they attempt to answer these questions on their own campuses and to communicate with other institutional leadership about these issues. The volume will be helpful to the leadership of the many professional organizations serving student affairs as they plan their programs, services, and agendas for the future. It also will be useful to students in graduate education programs at both the master's and doctoral levels as they learn about the profession they have chosen.
Finally, we believe that these issues have far-reaching implications for the future of student affairs and higher education. We urge that they not be ignored and that intentional efforts be made to resolve the issues presented here through discussion and debate on the individual campuses within the community of higher education, professional associations and by individual professionals."
—From the Preface
About the Authors.
1. What Is the Foundation of Student Affairs?
2. Where Should Student Affairs Be Placed Within the Organizational Structure of the Institution?
3. How Should Student Affairs Help Students Learn About Diversity?
4. How Can Student Affairs Attract and Retain a Diverse Staff?
5. How Do Sources of Revenue Affect Student Affairs?
6. What Is the Role of Student Affairs in Non-traditional Educational Settings?
7. What Is the Role of Student Affairs in Assessment?
8. Who Has Responsibility for the Lives of Students?
9. How Should Professional Associations Serve Student Affairs?