Cross- Functional Teams: Working with Allies, Enemies, and Other Strangers / Edition 2by Glenn M. Parker
Pub. Date: 12/12/2002
In organization after organization, individuals from a variety of disciplines are collaborating on cross-functional teams to produce dramatic business solutions. The recent explosion of global and virtual teams has made defining leadership roles, empowering teams, appraising and rewarding team members, connecting with key stakeholders, implementing communication… See more details below
In organization after organization, individuals from a variety of disciplines are collaborating on cross-functional teams to produce dramatic business solutions. The recent explosion of global and virtual teams has made defining leadership roles, empowering teams, appraising and rewarding team members, connecting with key stakeholders, implementing communication technology, and managing cross-cultural relationships obstacles to team success.
In this completely revised version of his best-selling book, Cross-Functional Teams: Working with Allies, Enemies, and Strangers, author and consultant Glenn Parker updates his definitive practical guide to include his recent work in team rewards and recognition, communications technology, and multicultural and virtual-team issues. This new edition contains fresh examples and additional case studies of successful cross-functional teams from IBM, Parke-Davis, Xerox, Boeing, BOC Gases, government agencies, and more. Parker offers concrete advice and inspiration to team leaders, team members, and senior management. Cross-Functional Teams delivers a team operating manual to executives, team leaders, human resource professionals, and students of organizational behavior and provides a tool kit of assessment surveys, worksheets, checklists, and even sample training programs to help launch and sustain effective teams. Cross-Functional Teams offers advice on how to
• Achieve organizational goals by igniting team creativity and accountability
• Develop a successful cross-functional team with an effective leader, a clear purpose, a well-honed training plan, a diverse and empowered membership, and the required resources
• Recognize and dismantle team barriers and build bridges to success
• Reward team performance and tackle the sticky issue of performance appraisals
Practical and accessible, Cross-Functional Teams will transform the way you think about teams and how your team performs. This revised edition of Parker's best-seller equips your team with the tools to reach new heights of organizational effectiveness in the twenty-first-century world.
Table of Contents
1. The World of Cross-Functional Teams.
2. The Competitive Advantages of Cross-Functional Teams.
3. Overcoming Barriers and Obstacles to Teamwork.
4. Leading Cross-Functional Teams: It's a Tough Job!
5. Empowering Teams to Do the Job.
6. Setting Goals for Shared Commitments.
7. Building Bridges Outside the Team.
8. Appraising Teamwork and Team Members.
9. Team Pay for Team Play.
10. Learning as a Team Event.
11. Team Size: Small Is Beautiful.
12. The Team Working Together.
13. Management's Role in Building a Team-Based Organization.
14. Jump-Starting the Change to Cross-Functional Teams.
Resources for Cross-Functional Teamwork.
Fighting the Forces of Evil.
Case Study One: Creating the Climate for Cross-Functional Teams.
Case Study Two: A Virtual Cross-Functional Team Story.
Case Study Three: A Network of Cross-Functional.
Teams Responds to the 9/11 Crisis Case Study Four: A Permanent Cross-Functional.
Team in the Public Sector Survey of Cross-Functional Teamwork.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Glenn Parker's book is a must-read for individuals and organizations that have cross-functional teams or are considering implementing them. Practical advice and actual examples of successful cross-functional teams make this book an easy and enjoyable read. I highly recommend this book to those who are looking to improve organizational effectiveness through cross-functional teams.