The twelve readings in this volume represent some of the best recent scholarship on the Crusades.
Table of Contents
Part I What Were the Crusades?.
1. Pope Urban II's Preaching of the First Crusade. (H. E. J. Cowdrey).
2. Crusading as an Act of Love. (Jonathan Riley-Smith).
3. Reconquest and Crusade in Spain, c. 1050-1150. (R. A. Fletcher).
4. Crusades Against Christians. (Norman Housley).
5. Were There Any Crusades in the Twelfth Century? (Christopher J. Tyerman).
Part II Who Were the Crusaders?.
6. Medieval Charters as a Source for the History of the Crusades. (Giles Constable).
7. Early Crusaders to the East and the Costs of Crusading, 1095-1130. (Jonathan Riley-Smith).
8. The Roots of Lay Enthusiasm for the First Crusade. (Marcus Bull).
9. Patronage and the Appeal of the First Crusade. (John France).
Part III Impact of the Crusades on the East.
10. Byzantium and the Crusades. (Steven Runciman).
11. The Reaction of Syrian Muslims after the Foundation of the First Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. (Nikita Elisséeff).
12. The Subjected Muslims of the Frankish Levant. (Benjamin Z. Kedar).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >