William Stallings' book provides comprehensive and completely up-to-date coverage of computer organization and architecture including memory, I/O, and parallel systems. The text covers leading-edge areas, including superscalar design, IA-64 design features, and parallel processor organization trends. It meets students' needs by addressing both the fundamental principles as well as the critical role of performance in driving computer design. Providing an unparalleled degree of instructor and student support, including supplements and on-line resources through the book's website, the sixth edition is in the forefront in its field.
- IA-64/Itanium architecture: The chapter-length description and analysis includes predicated execution and speculative loading.
- Cache memory: The new edition devotes an entire chapter to this central element in the design of high-performance processors.
- Optical memory: Coverage is expanded and updated.
- Advanced DRAM architecture: More material has been added to cover this topic, including an updated discussion of SDRAM and RDRAM.
- SMPs, clusters, and NUMA systems: The chapter on parallel organization has been expanded and updated.
- Expanded instructor support: The book now provides extensive support for projects with its new website.
- Pedagogy: Each chapter now includes a list of review questions (as well as homework problems) and a list of key words.
Distinguishing Treatment Bus organization: detailed treatment and evaluation of key design issues. RISC: broad, unified presentation Microprogrammedimplementation: full treatment for a firm grasp I/O functions and structures: full coverage, including interaction of I/O modules with the outside world and the CPU.
- Running examples: Provides numerous concrete examples, especially Pentium 4 and Power PC G4
- Unified instructional approach: Enables student to evaluate instruction set design issues.
- Instructors Resource CD-ROM: Includes solutions to homework problems, list of research projects, and list of simulation projects, plus student manual for both SimpleScalar and SMPCache, and a list of suggested reading assignments.