Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness / Edition 4by Rachel Spector
Pub. Date: 03/28/1996
Publisher: Appleton & Lange
The seventh edition of this well-respected book continues to promote an awareness of the dimensions and complexities involved in caring for people from diverse cultural backgrounds. Completely revised and updated, it examines the differences existing within North America by probing the health care system and consumers, and examples of traditional health beliefs and
The seventh edition of this well-respected book continues to promote an awareness of the dimensions and complexities involved in caring for people from diverse cultural backgrounds. Completely revised and updated, it examines the differences existing within North America by probing the health care system and consumers, and examples of traditional health beliefs and practices among selected populations. An emphasis on the influences of recent social, political, and demographic changes helps to explore the issues and perceptions of health and illness today. An essential for any health-care professional, this book sets the standard for cultural perspectives.
- Pocket Guide to Assessment and Health Tradition available online for downloading
- Companion Website www.prenhall.com/spector with activities, test questions, and more
- New Research on Culture feature depicting recent studies related to cultural competence
- New photographs displaying examples and icons of various cultures
- New learning outcomes at the beginning of every chapter
- Expanded content on the influence of spirituality and religion on health in cultural contexts
- Updated chapter on the health care delivery system including discussions of barriers and alternatives
- Demographic background discussion of each of the U.S. Census Bureau's categories of the population for a statistical overview of the diversity of patient populations
- Appleton & Lange
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.04(w) x 9.20(h) x 1.04(d)
Table of Contents
I. CULTURAL FOUNDATIONS.
1. Cultural Heritage and History.
2. Diversity: Demographic and Immigration, and Poverty.
3. Health and Illness.
II. HEALTH DOMAINS.
4. Health Traditions.
5. Healing Traditions.
6. Familial Health Traditions.
7. Health-Care Delivery and Issues.
III. HEALTH AND ILLNESS PANORAMAS.
8. Health and Illness in the American Indian and Alaska.
9. Health and Illness in the Asian Population.
10. Health and Illness in the Black Population.
11. Health and Illness in the Hispanic Population.
12. Health and Illness in the White Population.
Appendix I: Selected Key Terms Related to Cultural Diversity in Health and Illness.
Appendix II: Suggested Course Outline.
Appendix III: Suggested Course Activities.
Appendix IV: Heritage Assessment Tool.
Appendix V: Quick Guide for CulturalCare.
Appendix VI: Data Resources.
Appendix VII: Networks: Selected Health-Related Organizations.
Appendix VIII: Folklife Centers.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >