Cultural Politics: Class, Gender, Race And The Postmodern World / Edition 1by Glenn Jordan, Chris Weedon, Glenn Jordon
Pub. Date: 01/17/1995
Glen Jordan and Chris Weedon look at the role of culture in reproducing and contesting social relations of class, gender and race. They focus on relationships between culture, subjectivity, and power, in what is the first comprehensive introduction to contemporary cultural politics. See more details below
Glen Jordan and Chris Weedon look at the role of culture in reproducing and contesting social relations of class, gender and race. They focus on relationships between culture, subjectivity, and power, in what is the first comprehensive introduction to contemporary cultural politics.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.85(w) x 9.76(h) x 1.43(d)
Table of Contents
List of Plates.
Part I: Mapping the Terrain:.
1. Introduction: What are Cultural Politics?.
2. Liberals and Humanists, Cosmopolitans and Eurocentrics: on the Development of Cultural Policy in Britain.
Part II: The Cultural Politics of Class:.
3. Writing as a Weapon in Class Struggle: Radical Cultural Politics in Britain to the Second World War.
4. Marxist Cultural Politics in Eastern Europe: the Case of the German Democratic Republic.
5. Whose History is it? Class, Cultural Democracy and Constructions of the Past.
Part III: The Cultural Politics of Gender:.
6. Feminism and the Cultural Politics of Gender.
7. Alternative Subjectivities: White Feminist Fiction.
8. Gender, Racism and Identity: Black Feminist Fiction.
Part IV: The Cultural Politics of Race:.
9. Marking Difference, Asserting Power: the Cultural Politics of Racism.
10. Primitives, Politics and the Avant-garde.
11. Dialogues: Race and the Cultural Politics of the Avant-garde.
12. Encounters: Postcolonial Artists and the Art Establishment.
13. From Primitivism to Ethnic Art: Neo-colonialism in the Metropolis.
14. Racism, Culture and Subjectivity: Australian Aboriginal Writing.
Part V: Concluding Reflections:.
15. The Postmodernist Challenge/Challenging Postmodernism: a Cultural Politics for Today.
Index of Names and Voices.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >