Read an Excerpt
2 mini cupcakes
Light purple frosting
White square gum
Purple Spree candies
Black licorice drops
1. Frost 13 regular-size cupcakes and the 2 mini cupcakes with purple frosting. Frost the 3 remaining cupcakes with light purple frosting.
2. On a serving platter, arrange the cupcakes in a hippo shape, placing 2 purple cupcakes at the top, then 3 light purple cupcakes underneath, then 4 purple, then 3 purple, then 4 purple. Place the 2 mini cupcakes at the top for ears.
3. Place the remaining light purple frosting in a decorating bag with a round tip. Make nostrils on the hippo using Spree candies. Use light purple frosting to make the jaw bigger along the bottom. Fill in any gaps in the jaw with light purple frosting and smooth with a knife.
4. Stick the two pieces of gum into the bottom of the jaw for teeth. Place black licorice drops for fingernails and toenails.
5. Place the white frosting in a decorating bag with a round tip or a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off. Draw the eyes. Place a purple Spree candy onto each eye for the pupil, then add a dot of white frosting to each pupil.