Curly Girl: The Handbookby Lorraine Massey, Michele Bender
The Curly Girl manifesto is back, now completely revised, updated, and expanded by more than a third with all-new material. Created by curly hair evangelist Lorraine Massey—the go-to curl expert featured in Allure, InStyle, Lucky, Seventeen, and The New York Times; and founder of several curly salons and curly products in/i>/i>/i>/i>/i>
The Curly Girl manifesto is back, now completely revised, updated, and expanded by more than a third with all-new material. Created by curly hair evangelist Lorraine Massey—the go-to curl expert featured in Allure, InStyle, Lucky, Seventeen, and The New York Times; and founder of several curly salons and curly products in New York City—Curly Girl is the surprising bible for the 65 percent of women with naturally curly or wavy hair and a desire to celebrate it.Curly Girl is packed with unique and fail-proof hair-care methods, inspiration, and an empowering pro-curl attitude. It’s all here: daily routines for Botticelli, fractal, and wavy curls; Lorraine’s no-more-shampoo epiphany—handle your hair as gently as you do your best cashmere sweater; homemade lotions and potions. New to this edition: an illustrated, step-by-step guide to trimming your own hair (remember: it’s not what you take off; it’s what you leave on); a section on the particular needs of wavy hair; Lorraine’s Down-and-Dirty Curly Boy Routine; more fabulous ’dos for weddings and other special occasions; a chapter on multicurltural hair written by an African American specialist. Plus, updated information on green and chemical-free products, 20 new Q&As, and a DVD with tutorials on caring for four different types of curls. From now on, there’s no such thing as a bad hair day.
- Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.00(w) x 8.40(h) x 0.60(d)
Read an Excerpt
QUIZ: Are You a Curly Girl?
If spring is not just in the air, but in your hair, you might be a curly girl. Just take the following quiz, and find out if the Curly Girl: The Handbook holds the secrets to your future hair success.
1. Do you often wear your hair tied back in a ponytail?
2. Does your hair develop volume in humid, hot, or wet weather?
3. Does your hair make you feel out of control?
4. Do you find yourself crying after every haircut?
5. Look at old photographs and recall how you felt about your hairand yourselfon the day the picture was taken. Was there a strong correlation between your hair and your mood?
6. Do you almost always have a haze of frizz around your head?
7. Do you blow-dry your hair so often that its texture is as dry and brittle as a piece of melba toast?
8. Does your budget for products to straighten or relax your hair exceed your annual tax-deductible contributions to charity?
9. Do you live in fear of humidity, sweating, spontaneous sex, a shower with your loveror any weather or activity that might unmask you as a curly girl?
10. Are you almost always unhappy with your hair?
11. Do you worry about your hair before any big occasion, like a wedding or an important business meeting?
If you answered yes to one or more questions, congratulations! You know who you are. You're a curly girl waiting to happen. Your hair is bristling with movement longing to break free, waves aching to curl, frizz begging for direction.
Meet the Author
Michele Bender is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Glamour, Cosmopolitan, The New York Times, Working Mother, and Health, where she was a contributing editor. She lives in New York City.
Lorraine Massey channeled her passion for curly hair by founding a group of stylish salons in New York and California that drew curly girls from near and far. Today she cuts hair for charity and is at work on a new book.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >