Current Therapy in Large Animal Theriogenologyby Robert S. Youngquist, Walter R. Threlfall
An essential resource for both students and practitioners, this comprehensive text provides practical, up-to-date information about normal reproduction and reproductive disorders in horses, cattle, small ruminants, swine, llamas, and other livestock. Featuring contributions from experts in the field, each section is devoted to a different large animal species and begins with a review of the clinically relevant aspects of the reproductive anatomy and physiology of both males and females. Key topics include the evaluation of breeding soundness, pregnancy diagnosis, diagnosis and treatment of infertility, abortion, obstetrics, surgery of the reproductive tract, care of neonates, and the latest reproductive technology.
- Includes coverage of all large animal species.
- All sections provide a review of clinically pertinent reproductive physiology and anatomy of males and females of each species.
- Complete coverage of the most current reproductive technology, including embryo transfer, estrous synchronization, and artificial insemination.
- A new section on alternative farming that addresses reproduction in bison, elk, and deer.
- New to the equine section: stallion management, infertility, and breeding soundness evaluation.
- New to the bovine section: estrous cycle synchronization, reproductive biotechnology, ultrasonographic determination of fetal gender, heifer development, and diagnosis of abortion.
- New to the porcine section: artificial insemination, boar/stud management, diseases of postpartum period, and infectious disease control.
- New to the llama section: infectious disease and nutrition.
Description: This update on reproduction in all of the large animal species includes clinically relevant sections on reproductive physiology and anatomy.
Purpose: The purpose is to provide updated information on reproductive management and disorders in large animals that is clinically relevant for students and practitioners.
Audience: Aimed at students, practitioners, and academicians in the field of large animal reproduction, the book is authored by well respected veterinary medicine professionals.
Features: The male and female reproductive physiology and anatomy of horses, cattle, small ruminants, swine, llamas, and other livestock and exotics are covered. Each species is covered in a section that highlights topics that are clinically relevant, including breeding soundness evaluation, pregnancy diagnosis, diagnosis and treatment of infertility, abortion, obstetrics, surgical and other specialty techniques, and care of neonates. Key features include updates on current reproductive technologies in the various species, including exotics.
Assessment: This book provides the most up-to-date techniques and technology available to students and practitioners in the field of large animal reproduction, many of whom do not have ready access to recent scientific articles to make clinical decisions. This edition has added information on many of the traditional large animal species as well as a variety of exotic species, and includes a new section on alternative farming.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews