Current Therapy in Reptile Medicine and Surgeryby Douglas R. Mader
Current Therapy in Reptile Medicine and Surgery is a valuable reference that emphasizes topics of real clinical relevance in reptile and amphibian medicine. With details on therapeutic regimens, this text also features coverage of infectious diseases, anesthesia, surgery, and advances in biology and conservation. Colorful illustrations showcase exotic/b>
Current Therapy in Reptile Medicine and Surgery is a valuable reference that emphasizes topics of real clinical relevance in reptile and amphibian medicine. With details on therapeutic regimens, this text also features coverage of infectious diseases, anesthesia, surgery, and advances in biology and conservation. Colorful illustrations showcase exotic animals, and numerous tables and figures provide quick access to essential information.
"This is a great book for anyone interested in herptile medicine and surgery, worth every penny and I am sure will go on to become a regular series." Reviewed by: Jonathan Cracknell. Date: 25/07/2014
• Selected topics of real clinical significance from the latest veterinary scientific literature explore today’s reptile and amphibian practice.
• A discussion of the most current theory and practical applications of diagnostic endoscopy in reptiles provides insight into minimally-invasive endoscopic procedures, including biopsy techniques.
• Expert contributors combine forces to bring you the most cutting-edge information available, offering authoritative and sometimes controversial opinions in particular areas.
• Expert contributors offer the most current thoughts on diagnosing new and emerging diseases, including a thorough review of molecular diagnostics.
• The latest therapeutics are discussed, and the most up-to-date formulary and library of normal clinical pathology values is provided.
• The most current and comprehensive discussion of amphibian medicine in print in the last decade!
Description: This is an updated supplement to the second edition of Reptile Medicine and Surgery, Mader (Elsevier, 2005).
Purpose: This is designed as a companion to that second edition, with the goal of reporting significant advances in diagnostic equipment and techniques, as well as including several new topics. Since it has been almost 10 years since the second edition was published, this update was needed.
Audience: It is written for a wide variety of audiences, including students, postgraduate trainees, and academics, as well as practitioners. World-renowned specialists from a variety of different backgrounds and institutions provide up-to-date contributions.
Features: The book is divided into four sections with associated appendices. All sections address advances in veterinary medicine, ranging from reptile and amphibian medicine, to anesthesia and analgesia, and cover advances in lesser discussed fields such as biology, conservation, and law. While important to the advancement of reptile medicine, the latter section is likely most relevant for biologists and researchers, and least practically applicable for practitioners on a daily basis. The appendixes include a thorough chart of reptile viruses, a concise reptile and amphibian formulary with reference ranges for commonly seen species, common dietary sources and recommendations for supportive nutrition, as well as an example of a reptile and amphibian history form. The appendixes are a quick resource for a refresher for a veteran reptile veterinarian, and likely useful for practitioners not as familiar with reptiles as patients. The numerous color images contribute greatly to the value of the book and enhance the translation of techniques from page into practice.
Assessment: This is a current, innovative collection of information and the culmination of research and experience in reptile medicine and surgery that has occurred over the past nine years. It updates the second edition of the earlier book and takes the next leap to expand diagnostic techniques, therapeutic options, and the current knowledge base.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.70(w) x 10.90(h) x 1.00(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >