Data and Computer Communications / Edition 7by William Stallings
Pub. Date: 05/08/2003
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Data and Computer Communications sixth edition provides a clear and comprehensive survey of the whole field of data communications and a tutorial on leading-edge network technologies and protocols. Considered the standard in its field for the last 15 years, this up-to-date book continues to meet the needs of students, academics, and professionals by/i>… See more details below
Data and Computer Communications sixth edition provides a clear and comprehensive survey of the whole field of data communications and a tutorial on leading-edge network technologies and protocols. Considered the standard in its field for the last 15 years, this up-to-date book continues to meet the needs of students, academics, and professionals by emphasizing both the fundamental principles as well as the critical role of performance in driving protocol and network design. This new edition offers a complete and detailed assessment of critical technical areas in data communications, wide-area networking, local area networking, and protocol design.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE MAJOR SUBSTANTIVE CHANGES:
- Includes xDSL, a family of digital subscriber line technologies that provides high-speed access to ISDN and other wide-area networks over ordinary twisted-pair lines from the network to a residential or business subscriber
- Presents an introduction to Gigabit Ethernet and an updated discussion on 100-Mbps Ethernet
- Covers Available Bit Rate (ABR) Service and Mechanisms that provides enhanced support for IP-based data traffic
- Surveys TCP Congestion Control, an area of active research
- Highlights Congestion Control that clarifies and expands the coverage of ATM traffic management and congestion control techniques
- Offers a new section devoted to IP MulticastingIncorporates substantial developments to the Internet, e.g. integrated services, differentiated services, other issues related to Quality of Service (QoS), and the important RSVP reservation protocol
- Provides a Companion Website,wwwprenhall.com/stallings, with extensive supplementary resources such as links to important sites for students and instructors, transparency masters of figures from the book, PowerPoint slides for lecturing, and an errata sheet
- Prentice Hall
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.28(w) x 9.36(h) x 1.42(d)
Table of Contents
2. Protocols and Architecture.
II. DATA COMMUNICATIONS.
4. Transmission Media.
5. Data Encoding.
6. The Datacommunication Interface.
7. Data Link Control.
III. WIDE-AREA NETWORKS.
10. Packet Switching.
11. ATM and Frame Relay.
12. Congestion Control in Data Networks.
IV. LOCAL AREA NETWORKS.
14. LAN Systems.
V. COMMUNICATIONS ARCHITECTURE AND PROTOCOLS.
16. Internetwork Operation.
17. Transport Protocols.
18. Network Security.
19. Distributed Applications.
Appendix A. ISDN and Broadband ISDN.
Appendix B. RFCs Cited in This Book.
Appendix C. Projects for Teaching Data and Computer Communications.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >