Database: Principles, Programming, and Performance, Second Edition / Edition 2by Patrick O'Neil
Pub. Date: 04/28/2000
Publisher: Elsevier Science
This second edition relies on the same successful approach that distinguished the first: it covers the principles of database theory with unmatched thoroughness, and it rigorously links theory to the real world of database programming and administration. A careful discussion of SQL standards and a multitude of examples drawn from actual databases-Oracle, DB2, and… See more details below
This second edition relies on the same successful approach that distinguished the first: it covers the principles of database theory with unmatched thoroughness, and it rigorously links theory to the real world of database programming and administration. A careful discussion of SQL standards and a multitude of examples drawn from actual databases-Oracle, DB2, and Informix-complements the authors' concept-oriented instruction, allowing you to develop product-specific understanding and to learn the important differences between the SQL dialects that will enable you to write portable applications.
* Focuses extensively on the object-relational model that is rapidly gaining acceptance and revolutionizing the database industry. Collection types and UDF's are thoroughly covered.
* Introduces new relational features of SQL taken from the latest versions of today's most popular database products, Oracle, DB2, and Informix.
* Offers thorough coverage of the SQL-99 standard, including additions designed to help you take full advantage of the object-relational model.
* Provides expanded programming examples intended to improve your understanding of transaction processing and error handling.
* Explains clearly the principles of logical database design, including those relating to the E-R model and normalization, with a number of new illustrations and examples.
* Presents the latest indexing and query processing techniques, such as bitmap indexing, and shows how to use them to achieve significant performance improvements.
- Elsevier Science
- Publication date:
- Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems Series
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.73(w) x 9.60(h) x 1.85(d)
Table of ContentsForeword --Jim Gray, Microsoft
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 The Relational Model
Chapter 3 Basic SQL Query Language
Chapter 4 Object-Relational SQL
Chapter 5 Programs to Access a Database
Chapter 6 Database Design
Chapter 7 Integrity, Views, Security, and Catalogs
Chapter 8 Indexing
Chapter 9 Query Processing
Chapter 10 Update Transactions
Chapter 11 Parallel and Distributed Databases
Appendix A Introductory Tutorial
Appendix B Programming Details
Appendix C SQL Statement Syntax
Appendix D Set Query Counts
Solutions to Selected Exercises
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >