Dead Centre: Hope, Possibility and Unity for Canadian Progressives / Edition 1by Jamey Heath
Pub. Date: 02/16/2007
Publisher: Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated
Some say the environment will be this century's health-care conundrum. Canadians are waking up from our Liberal hegemony mirage and finding out that we're not the progressive country they told us we were. And now, a country that stayed out of Iraq and embraced equal marriage has a neoconservative PM-and a Liberal emissions record that's worse than that of George W. Bush.
- Why does Trudeau represent the Liberal Party? Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, but his Republican Party's no ally of African-Americans today.
- Sovereignty is globalizing, and Andre Boisclair represents its new face.
- Parliament rendered cold judgment on Liberals who chose their date. And braced for execution: the day the 2006 election began.
- Not since Wayne Gretzky's rookie season have Liberals beaten a united Right.
- Elizabeth May congratulated Liberals for refusing to follow California's lead on emissions standards.
- The NDP's a lot like Lego and every now and then another block is added.
Read about these insights-and many more-in a book that sets its sights Dead Centre.
- Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.10(w) x 9.06(h) x 0.79(d)
Table of ContentsIntroduction.
PART ONE: THE MINORITY PARLIAMENT AND THE 2006 ELECTION.
Chapter 1. To and From a Dingy Room.
Chapter 2. "The Budget's Priorities are Conservative Ones."
Chapter 3. Scandal Costs Us The Bloc.
Chapter 4. Omigod!
Chapter 5. Tom d'Aquino Asks for His Money Back.
Chapter 6. The Pantomime Victory.
Chapter 7. Pressure from Montreal's Gay Village.
Chapter 8. Trudeau and the Troglodytes.
Chapter 9. John A. Macdonald, Rene Levesque and the race.
Chapter 10. Events in a Progressive Summer.
Chapter 11. Ghosts of Springs Past.
Chapter 12. A Clumsy Dance.
Chapter 13. The Winter Guillotine Falls.
Chapter 14. Class War: Tories versus Tommy.
PART TWO: SEVEN ELECTIONS THAT WRITE POLITICS' NEW RULES.
Chapter 15. The Hegemony Mirage.
Chapter 16. Go West.
Chapter 17. Wrong Kind of Blue State.
Chapter 18. Alberta and the Betamax Lesson.
Chapter 19. The No Logo Divide.
Chapter 20. Andre Biosclair's Global Generation.
Chapter 21. No More Crumbs.
Chapter 22. Rethinking Progressive.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >