Dear Kilroy: A Dog to Guide Us

Dear Kilroy: A Dog to Guide Us

by Nora Vitz Harrison
     
 

Kilroy, a yellow Labrador retriever, started life as a potential guide for the blind. His life took a detour when he was dropped from the program. Nora’s sister, Alice, adopted him as a pet. The love he brought to her life eased her through a very difficult time - the dissolution of her 18-year marriage. Watching and participating in this special relationship

Overview

Kilroy, a yellow Labrador retriever, started life as a potential guide for the blind. His life took a detour when he was dropped from the program. Nora’s sister, Alice, adopted him as a pet. The love he brought to her life eased her through a very difficult time - the dissolution of her 18-year marriage. Watching and participating in this special relationship reminded Nora that success takes many forms. Kilroy "failed" as a guide dog, but he succeeded in changing Alice’s life for the better. He became her guide as she made her journey from grief to new happiness. Some of the best teachers in this world have four legs and bark. Dogs help us make friends, transcend tragedies, grieve the loss of loved ones and just plain enjoy life. According to researchers, pets improve our human immune-system functions - a fancy way to say they make us feel good. "Dear Kilroy," a collection of inspirational stories, photographs, and imaginary canine correspondence, celebrates this magical relationship between people and dogs. The book’s true-life stories follow a few special dogs and the human lives they change. As the dogs in these stories strive to fulfill their potential - whether to become a guide for the visually impaired or to become the best, most-trusted pet of someone in need - they teach us all how to become better human beings.

Editorial Reviews

Library Journal
Every year, more than 900 puppies are born in the Guide Dogs for the Blind breeding program. Only about 38 percent of them complete training and become working "seeing eye" dogs. However, the remaining 62 percent, adopted into loving homes, often touch lives in ways not planned by their breeders. The author, a longtime puppy raiser for Guide Dogs and a volunteer for humane societies in California, tells how one such "change of career" pup, Kilroy, came into her sister's life at a time when she most needed the protection and unconditional love that a dog can give. Harrison also recounts examples of how working guide dogs change the lives of the blind people whose safety and independence are entrusted to them. Finally, she tells the story of the shelter dog whose presence helped her father to cope with loss and move on with his life. Harrison accomplishes her goal in brief anecdotes and funny, heartwarming, imaginary correspondence between Kilroy and her own dog. Recommended (with a tissue alert) for public libraries.-Florence Scarinci, Nassau Community Coll. Lib., Garden City, NY Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information.

Product Details

ISBN-13:
9781931868396
Publisher:
Capital Books, Incorporated
Publication date:
07/09/2003
Series:
Capital Ideas Series
Pages:
192
Product dimensions:
6.00(w) x 6.00(h) x 0.70(d)

Related Subjects

What People are saying about this

Bob Phillips
As the dogs in Dear Kilroy strive to achieve their potential-whether to become a guide for the blind or to be the best, most-trusted pet of someone in need-they teach us how to be better human beings.
CEO for Guide Dogs for the Blind
David Frei
Thank you, Kilroy, for showing us that life can be a celebration if we would just live in the moment.
American Kennel
Betty White
The author of this lovely book is well aware of that spot deep within us that sometimes only dogs can find. The dogs we meet in these stories touch that spot and make it glow.
actress and author

Meet the Author

Nora Vitz Harrison is a volunteer puppy-raising leader for Guide Dogs for the Blind and active in animal-welfare organizations. She has been a writer for corporate America since 1979. Her human-interest essays have appeared in "The Oregonian" newspaper and other publications. She lives in Oregon with her husband and her dog, Riley. When she is not writing, she loves to hike which is Riley’s favorite hobby, too.

Customer Reviews

Average Review:

Write a Review

and post it to your social network

     

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See all customer reviews >