Decisions: A Writer's Handbook / Edition 2by Leonard J. Rosen
Pub. Date: 08/14/2001
readers will be introduced to effective reading, writing, and critical
Based on the highly-successful Allyn and Bacon Handbook, Decisions is a brief, spiral bound handbook that emphasizes writing as a decision process. Often writers need to hone their critical thinking skills in order to become more effective writers. This book makes the task a little less daunting.
readers will be introduced to effective reading, writing, and critical thinking skills as they review the basic decisions involved in basic sentence construction. Sample essays provide useful examples to follow, and a complete section on technology provides guidelines for using electronic sources like CD-ROMs and the Internet.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.50(w) x 8.40(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of ContentsI. READING, THINKING, AND WRITING.
1. Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing.
2. Planning, Writing, and Revising a Draft.
3. Developing the Paragraph and the Paper.
II. WRITING THE RESEARCH PAPER.
4. Researching Print and Electronic Sources.
5. Using Sources.
6. Writing the Research Paper.
7. Documenting the Research Paper.
III. OTHER TYPES OF WRITING.
8. Writing and Arguing in the Disciplines.
9. Writing in a Business Environment.
10. Writing for the Web.
11. Writing About Literature.
12. Manuscript Form and Document Design.
IV. SENTENCE DECISIONS.
13. Constructing Sentences.
14. Correcting Sentence Fragments.
15. Correcting Comma Splices and Fused Sentences.
16. Using Verbs.
17. Correcting Errors in Subject-Verb Agreement.
18. Using Adjectives and Adverbs.
19. Correcting Misplaced and Dangling Modifiers.
20. Using Nouns and Pronouns.
21. Correcting Errors in Pronoun-Antecedent Agreement and Reference.
22. Correcting Errors in Consistency.
23. Correcting Faulty Parallelism.
V. STYLE DECISIONS.
24. Being Clear, Concise and Direct.
25. Building Emphasis with Coordination and Subordination.
26. Choosing the Right Word.
VI. PUNCTUATION DECISIONS.
27. Using End Punctuation.
28. Using Commas.
29. Using Semicolons.
30. Using Apostrophes.
31. Using Quotation Marks.
32. Using Other Marks.
VII. MECHANICS AND SPELLING DECISIONS.
33. Using Capitals.
34. Using Italics.
35. Using Abbreviations.
36. Using Numbers in Writing.
37. Using Hyphens.
38. Making SpellingDecisions.
VIII. ESL REFERENCE GUIDE.
39. English Nouns, Pronouns, and Articles.
40. English Verbs.
41. Modifiers and Connectors.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >