Dental Hygiene: Theory and Practice / Edition 2by Michele Leonardi Darby, Margaret Walsh
Pub. Date: 08/13/2003
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Emphasizing evidence-based research and clinical competencies, Dental Hygiene: Theory and Practice, 4th Edition, provides easy-to-understand coverage of the dental hygienist’s roles and responsibilities in today’s practice. It offers a clear approach to science and theory, a step-by-step guide to core dental hygiene procedures, and realistic/b>… See more details below
Emphasizing evidence-based research and clinical competencies, Dental Hygiene: Theory and Practice, 4th Edition, provides easy-to-understand coverage of the dental hygienist’s roles and responsibilities in today’s practice. It offers a clear approach to science and theory, a step-by-step guide to core dental hygiene procedures, and realistic scenarios to help you develop skills in decision-making. New chapters and content focus on evidence-based practice, palliative care, professional issues, and the electronic health record. Written by Michele Leonardi Darby, Margaret M. Walsh, and a veritable Who’s Who of expert contributors, Dental Hygiene follows the Human Needs Conceptual Model with a focus on client-centered care that takes the entire person into consideration.
• UNIQUE! Human Needs Conceptual Model framework follows Maslow’s human needs theory, helping hygienists treat the whole patient - not just specific diseases.
• Comprehensive coverage addresses the need-to-know issues in dental hygiene - from the rationale behind the need for dental hygiene care through assessment, diagnosis, care planning, implementation, pain and anxiety control, the care of individuals with special needs, and practice management.
• Step-by-step procedure boxes list the equipment required and the steps involved in performing key procedures. Rationales for the steps are provided in printable PDFs online.
• Critical Thinking exercises and Scenario boxes encourage application and problem solving, and help prepare students for the case-based portion of the NBDHE.
• Client Education boxes list teaching points that the dental hygienist may use to educate clients on at-home daily oral health care.
• High-quality and robust art program includes full-color illustrations and clinical photographs as well as radiographs to show anatomy, complex clinical procedures, and modern equipment.
• Legal, Ethical, and Safety Issues boxes address issues related to risk prevention and management.
• Expert authors Michele Darby and Margaret Walsh lead a team of international contributors consisting of leading dental hygiene instructors, researchers, and practitioners.
• NEW chapters on evidence-based practice, the development of a professional portfolio, and palliative care provide research-based findings and practical application of topics of interest in modern dental hygiene care.
• NEW content addresses the latest research and best practices in attaining clinical competency, including nutrition and community health guidelines, nonsurgical periodontal therapy, digital imaging, local anesthesia administration, pharmacology, infection control, and the use of the electronic health record (EHR) within dental hygiene practice.
• NEW photographs and illustrations show new guidelines and equipment, as well as emerging issues and trends.
• NEW! Companion product includes more than 50 dental hygiene procedures videos in areas such as periodontal instrumentation, local anesthesia administration, dental materials manipulation, common preventive care, and more. Sold separately.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.78(w) x 11.16(h) x 1.95(d)
Table of Contents
Section 1: Conceptual Foundations
1. The Dental Hygiene Profession
2. Human Needs Theory and Dental Hygiene Care
3. NEW! Evidenced-based Decision Making
4. Community-based Dental Hygiene Practice
5. Changing Behavior
6. Cultural Competence
7. NEW! Professional Portfolios
Section 2: Preparation for the Appointment
8. The Dental Hygiene Care Environment
9. Infection Control
10. Medical Emergencies
Section 3: Assessments
12. Personal, Dental, and Health Histories
13. Vital Signs
14. Pharmacologic History
15. Extra and Intraoral Clinical Assessment
16. Dentition Assessment
17. Soft Deposits, Plaque Biofilm, Calculus, and Stain Assessment
18. Caries Risk Assessment
19. Periodontal and Risk Assessment
20. Oral-Systemic Health Connection
Section 4: Critical Thinking in Dental Hygiene Practice
21. Dental Hygiene Diagnosis
22. Dental Hygiene Care Plan and Evaluation
Section 5: Implementation
24. Interdental and Supplemental Aids
26. Hand Instrumentation
27. Ultrasonic Instrumentation
28. Root Morphology and Instrumentation
29. Stain Management: Polishing and Whitening
30. Decision Making related to Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy
31. Chemotherapy for Control of Periodontitis
32. Acute Gingival and Periodontal Conditions, Lesions of Endodontic Origin, and Avulsed Teeth
33. Fluorides, Chlorhexidine, Amorphous Calcium Phosphate, and Xylitol
34. Pit and Fissure Sealants
35. Nutritional Counseling
36. Tobacco Cessation
37. Impressions, Study Casts, and Oral Stents
38. Restorative Therapy
Section 6: Pain and Anxiety Control
39. Dental Hypersensitivity
40. Local Anesthesia
41. Nitrous Oxide-Oxygen Analgesia
Section 7: Individuals with Special Needs
42. Persons with Disabilities
43. Cardiovascular Disease
44. Diabetes Mellitus
46. HIV Infection
47. Neurologic and Sensory Disabilities
48. Autoimmune Diseases
49. Organ Transplants
50. Respiratory Diseases
51. Developmentally and Cognitively Challenged
52. Alcohol and Substance Abuse Problems
53. Eating Disorders
54. Women’s Health and the Health of Their Children
55. The Older Adult
56. Fixed and Removable Dentures
57. Orofacial Clefts and Fractured Jaw
58. Osseointegrated Dental Implants
59. Orthodontic Care
60. Abuse and Neglect
61. NEW! Palliative Care
Section 8: Management
62. Practice Management
63. Professional Development
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >