Developing Executive Talent: Best Practices from Global Leaders / Edition 1by Jonathan Smilansky PhD
Pub. Date: 02/02/2007
The systematic management of executive talent is a key strategic challenge for most large corporations. This is an emerging field and, consequently, there is a lack of consensus about what is involved and a variety of approaches have been adopted. In Developing Executive Talent Jonathan Smilansky, PhD summarizes the key activities and concerns of large businesses… See more details below
The systematic management of executive talent is a key strategic challenge for most large corporations. This is an emerging field and, consequently, there is a lack of consensus about what is involved and a variety of approaches have been adopted. In Developing Executive Talent Jonathan Smilansky, PhD summarizes the key activities and concerns of large businesses in the USA and Europe that are focused around the identification, development and effective utilisation of executive talent. In doing so, he provides even the most experienced Human Resource executive with a much broader array of inputs about what today's leading organisations are doing in this area.
What quickly becomes clear is that even the best businesses are still developing their talent management processes. There are not 'right' answers and different organisations, with different levels of commitment, at different stages of development and in different environments produce different approaches. Developing Executive Talent is a map that lets you compare your organisation's approach with what others are doing in this area. It also grants you a close-up view of alternative processes designed to identify and develop the leaders of tomorrow. By learning from the experience of others you can become an 'educated consumer' of talent management services, and help both your organisation and your own career.
With quotations from Heads of Human resources describing their experiences and concerns, specific tools and processes used by large businesses to identify and manage the leaders of tomorrow, Developing Executive Talent offers the clearest and most coherent picture to date of how leading organisations are tackling this critical business challenge.
Table of Contents
1. What is this book about?
2. The importance of talent management for long-term business success.
3. An overview of Talent Management processes
4. Using strategic business objectives to drive Talent Management efforts.
5. Talent management in critical jobs.
6. Managing succession.
7. Talent scouting in the external environment.
8. Systematic processes for identifying future executive talent and assessing potential.
9. Career paths.
10. Developing executive capability.
11. Breaking down silos that are barriers to effective talent management.
12.Talent Management and diversity.
13. Employer branding and talent management.
14. Integrating talent management with other human resource processes.
15. How about exceptional performers?
16. Building support at the top.
17. How do I manage my own career?
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >