With Whetten and Cameron's unique five-step model, learn the skills that turn good ideas into accepted practiceand good management!
Skills-based, interactive, and cross-cultural, David Whetten and Kim Cameron's newest edition of Developing Management Skills will help you bridge the gap between learning management skills and applying those skills to the managing job at hand. Filled with experiential exercises, examples, and the latest in technology, this book clearly focuses on the skills aspect of management.
The authors present a five-step process in each chapter for assessing, learning, analyzing, practicing, and applying your own abilities to build the foundation for effective management practice. Building on your personal, interpersonal, and group skills, Developing Management Skills is an interactive tool based on the authors' extensive and updated research on effective managers in private and public companies.
Here are a few of the highlights of this fifth edition:
- Material on nine fundamental management skills, organized into three categories, to help you master the skills you'll use in managing people:
- Personal (Developing Self-Awareness; Managing Stress; Solving Problems Creatively)
- Interpersonal (Coaching, Counseling, and Supportive Communication; Gaining Power and Influence; Motivating Others; Managing Conflict)
- Group Skills (Empowering and Delegating; Building Effective Teams and Teamwork)
- New material on cross-cultural perspectives, including a useful framework for comparingcultural values and providing examples of how people with different cultural values use different communication styles, influence strategies, or conflict management approaches.
- Three updated supplemental sections on applied communications skills"Making Oral and Written Presentations," "Conducting Interviews," and "Conducting Meetings"to help prepare you for the various types of communication required of managers.
- NEW! Part-Ending Skills Video segments featuring key management skills topics that focus on a fictional Internet company. Each segment offers a scenario with two options from which students select and evaluate their choices.
- NEW! myPHLIP Internet site offers chapter-specific current events, Internet exercises, and downloadable supplementsplus interactive assessment tests.