Developmental Care of Newborns & Infants: A Guide for Health Professionals / Edition 1by NANN, Jacqueline McGrath, National Association of Neonatal Nurses
Pub. Date: 03/26/2004
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Presenting valuable information on the interaction between an infant, the family, and the surrounding environment, this practical resource from the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) discusses developmental care to help readers support the individualized needs of the developing newborn and the family. Featuring a multidisciplinary approach to care, the… See more details below
Presenting valuable information on the interaction between an infant, the family, and the surrounding environment, this practical resource from the National Association of Neonatal Nurses (NANN) discusses developmental care to help readers support the individualized needs of the developing newborn and the family. Featuring a multidisciplinary approach to care, the book also includes contributions from a variety of experts in medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, family health, developmental care, and nursing.
• Provides readers with a multidisciplinary approach to the developmental care of newborns and infants.
• Includes the core knowledge of developmental care and the impact on that care.
• Focuses on solid, evidence-based practice across all disciplines and care providers.
• Incorporates the family as an integral part of the team, as family-centered care supports the parental role as primary care provider.
• Follows a holistic approach to understanding the interaction between the infant, family, and environment.
• Represents the concept of care as a continuum from prenatal to home discharge.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.50(w) x 9.16(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
Unit 1: Developmental Care: An Integrative, Holistic Approach
1. Developmental Care: An Overview
2. Individualized Care: Actions for the Individualized Staff Member
3. Theoretical Perspective for Developmentally Supportive Care
4. Infant Mental Health: A New Dimension to Care
5. The NICU Environment
Unit 2: Fetal Development and Factors that Impact on Growth
6. Critical Periods of Development
7. Neurological Development
8. Motor Development Chronology: A Dynamic Process
9. Factors That May Influence Fetal Development
10. The NICU Experience and its Relationship to Sensory Integration
11. Infant Sleep Position Protocols
12. Pain Management
13. Palliative Care
Unit III: Research and Interventions
14. Environmental Issues
15. Caregiving and the Environment
18. Family Issues-Professional Parent
19. Father's Role in NICU Care: Evidence-Based Practice
Unit IV: Beyond the NICU: Long-Term Outcomes
20. Early Intervention Beyond the Newborn Period
21. NICU and Beyond Benefits: Benchmarking with Measurable Outcomes
Unit V: Implementation and Issues Related to Developmental Care
22. Organizational Climate, Implementation of Change, and Outcomes
23. Implications of Early Intervention Legislation
24. Interdisciplinary Competency Validation
25. Developmental Care and Advanced Practice Nursing Education
26. New Roles for Developmental Care
27. Professional Issues & Future of Developmental Care: Where will it be in the 21st Century
A. Sample Protocols for Developmental Care
B. Newborn Individualized Developmental Care and Assessment Program (NIDCAP®)
C. Children's Medical Ventures Wee Care ®
D. Bibliography/Web Resources
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >