Thoroughly and systematically presents the state-of-the-art in the diagnostic uses of radiologic imaging and nuclear medicine in the diagnosis and management of infectious and inflammatory diseases
Although our understanding of microorganisms has advanced significantly and antimicrobial therapy has become increasingly available, infection remains a major cause of patient morbidity and mortality. Imaging of infection and inflammation provides a classic example of radiology and nuclear medicine’s strengths as well as weaknesses in the discovery and diagnosis of disease. Fortunately, the weaknesses are subsiding as new studies and techniques point to better planning and precision in the use of single and combined imaging modalities.
Diagnostic Imaging of Infections and Inflammatory Diseases: A Multidisciplinary Approach deals with the very latest developments in the use of radiologic techniques and modalities in the management of patients with a host of infectious and inflammatory diseases. Tremendously timely and useful, this innovative, multidisciplinary book covers a wide range of topics in three parts:
PART 1: Infections and Host Response
- Epidemiology of Infections in the New Century
- Bacterial Osteomyelitis: the Clinician Point of View
PART 2: Radiological Imaging
- Radiological Imaging of Osteomyelitis
- Radiological Imaging of Spine Infection
- Radiological Imaging of Soft Tissue Infections
- Radiological Imaging of Abdominal Infections and Inflammatory Disease
- Radiological Imaging of Vascular Graft Infection
- Radiological Imaging of TB and HIV
PART 3: Nuclear Medicine Imaging
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Infections: Techniques, Acquisition Protocols, and Interpretation Criteria
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Osteomyelitis: WBC, Monoclonal Antibody, or Bacterial Imaging?
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Spondylodiscitis: The Emerging Role of PET
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Soft Tissue Infections
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Infections and Inflammatory Diseases of the Abdomen
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Vascular Graft Infections: The Added Role of Hybrid Imaging
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of TB and HIV
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Fever of Unknown Origin
- Nuclear Medicine Imaging of Inflammatory Diseases
Along with carefully developed clinical cases describing the management of patients with inflammation and infection, Diagnostic Imaging of Infections and Inflammatory Diseases is an ideal guide for radiologists and nuclear medicine physicians as well as clinical specialists from many other fields.