Diagnostic Radiology and Ultrasonography of the Dog and Catby J. Kevin Kealy, Hester McAllister, John P. Graham
Interpret diagnostic images accurately with Diagnostic Radiology and Ultrasonography of the Dog and Cat, 5th Edition. Written by veterinary experts J. Kevin Kealy, Hester McAllister, and John P. Graham, this concise guide covers the principles of diagnostic radiology and ultransonography and includes clear, complete instruction in image interpretation. It/b>… See more details below
Interpret diagnostic images accurately with Diagnostic Radiology and Ultrasonography of the Dog and Cat, 5th Edition. Written by veterinary experts J. Kevin Kealy, Hester McAllister, and John P. Graham, this concise guide covers the principles of diagnostic radiology and ultransonography and includes clear, complete instruction in image interpretation. It illustrates the normal anatomy of body systems, and then uses numbered points to describe radiologic signs of abnormalities. It also includes descriptions of the ultrasonographic appearance of many conditions in dogs and cats. Updated with the latest on digital imaging, CT, MR, and nuclear medicine, and showing how to avoid common errors in interpretation, this book is exactly what you need to refine your diagnostic and treatment planning skills!
- Hundreds of detailed radiographs and ultrasonograms clearly illustrate principles, aid comprehension, and help you accurately interpret your own films.
- The normal anatomy and appearance for each body system is included so you can identify deviations from normal, such as traumatic and pathologic changes.
- Coverage of the most common disorders associated with each body system help you interpret common and uncommon problems.
- Coverage of radiographic principles and procedures includes density, contrast, detail, and technique, so you can produce the high-quality films necessary for accurate diagnosis.
- Clinical signs help you arrive at a clinical diagnosis.
- An emphasis on developing a standardized approach to viewing radiographs and ultrasonograms ensures that you do not overlook elements of the image that may affect proper diagnosis.
- Complete coverage of diagnostic imaging of small animals includes all modalities and echocardiography, all in a comprehensive, single-source reference.
- Discussions of ultrasound-guided biopsy technique help you perform one of the most useful, minimally invasive diagnostic procedures.
- Single chapters cover all aspects of specific body compartments and systems for a logical organization and easy cross-referencing.
- Coverage of different imaging modalities for individual diseases/disorders is closely integrated in the text and allows easier comprehension.
- A consistent style, terminology, and content results from the fact that all chapters are written by the same authors.
- An improved layout makes the material easier to read and comprehend.
- Over 450 new or improved illustrations cover topics with clear, high-quality images.
- Coverage of CT, MRI, and scintigraphy has been expanded.
- Updated chapters include the latest developments in diagnostic imaging and findings on new conditions.
- New computed tomography and digital radiography information in The Radiograph chapter includes help in recognizing artifacts on ultrasound.
- Expanded sections on ultrasound in The Thorax chapter include examples and more content on portosystemic shunts, including color Doppler images.
- Color flow and spectral Doppler images in The Abdomen chapter complement the descriptions of radiologic conditions, relevant information on CT imaging and thyroid scintigraphy.
- An expanded section on appendicular pathology and joint pathology is added to The Bones and Joints chapter.
- New and improved diagrams/line drawings with accompanying normal images of the brain and spine are added in The Skull and Vertebral Column chapter, including more MRI and CT to illustrate normal components and pathologic conditions.
- Update on new soft-tissue conditions appears in the Soft Tissues chapter.
Description: This well-organized overview of radiographic and ultrasonographic imaging in the dog and cat uses a similarly formatted imaging finding list for each disease. Other imaging modalities are discussed when appropriate, giving a concise overview of the value of imaging in the disease process. This is an update of the 2005 edition.
Purpose: The authors intend to provide a simple and practical exposition of the basic principles of image interpretation and to present it in such a way that it can be easily understood and assimilated. In a field that is based on interpretation of data rather than hard and fast rules, this objective is a worthy one. This book is a well-organized look into the art and science of image interpretation that provides the science behind the cause of specific changes seen on diagnostic images.
Audience: It is directed at both veterinary students and general practitioners. It also provides a concise overview of imaging findings in common diseases, providing a quick resource for emergency clinicians and junior radiology residents on the clinic floor. The authors all have additional training and experience in diagnostic imaging.
Features: Like the majority of diagnostic imaging books, this one is divided by body systems, thorax, abdomen, soft tissues, and skeletal regions. A brief section also covers general imaging principles and physics. There are abundant example images throughout the book. Several of the radiographic images are dark with limited contrast, but compared to other books in this area, these images rate in the upper 25%. The adherence to a list of radiographic signs for each disease is helpful, although sometimes buried within the text. Color Doppler images are helpful in understanding this modality.
Assessment: This would be helpful for both veterinary students and general practitioners as a good clinic reference. As the authors state, with the rapid change in radiography in the last several years (analog to digital), an updated edition was essential. This book provides much of the same information covered by Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology, 5th edition, Thrall (Elsevier, 2007), minus the equine information the latter includes. That being said, with the different organizational styles, each book may appeal to different readers.
- Book News, Inc.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 90 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >