Read an Excerpt
DID YOU KNOW
MORE THAN 6,000 BIBLE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
By Thomas Nelson Publishers
Thomas NelsonCopyright © 1987 Thomas Nelson
All rights reserved.
PEOPLE AND PLACES
1. Fill in the blank: "In the beginning created the heavens and the earth.""God" (Gen. 1:1).
2. Multiple choice: Who was hovering over the face of the waters when God began His creative acts? (a) The Spirit of God; (b) Lucifer; or (c) Michael the archangel.(a) The Spirit of God (Gen. 1:2).
3. Fill in the blanks: "Then God said, 'Let _____ make man in _____ image, according to _____ likeness.""Us ... Our ... Our" (Gen. 1:26). These pronouns are either majestic plurals or hints of the Trinity.
4. Multiple choice: To whom did God say, "I have given you every herb that yields seed ... and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food"? (a) All living creatures; (b) man only; or (c) cattle only.(b) Man only (Gen. 1:27–29). The other creatures were given only green herbs (v. 30).
5. True or false? A river went out of Eden to water the garden.True (Gen. 2:10). This river divided into four rivers.
6. Question: Who was Adam and Eve's first son?Cain (Gen. 4:1).
7. Fill in the blank: Adam and Eve's second son, _____, was "a keeper of sheep."Abel (Gen. 4:2). Although Abel's life was brief, the writer of Hebrews saw him as a great example of wholehearted commitment to God (Heb. 11:4).
8. Multiple choice: What son did Eve say God gave her to replace Abel, whom Cain killed? (a) Seth; (b) Enoch; or (c) Enosh. (a) Seth (Gen. 4:25).
9. Fill in the blank: "And _____ walked with God; and he was not, for God took him."Enoch (Gen. 5:24).
10. Question: Who were the three sons of Noah?Shem, Ham and Japheth (Gen. 5:32). Noah began to have children when he was five hundred years old.
11. Multiple choice: On what mountain did the ark come to rest after the Flood? (a) Olives; (b) Ararat; or (c) Horeb. (b) Ararat (Gen. 8:4).
12. Multiple choice: From which son of Noah was Abram descended? (a) Shem; (b) Ham; or (c) Japheth. (a) Shem (Gen. 11:10, 26). All the Near Eastern people descended from Shem (Gen. 10:21–31). The word Semitic comes from his name.
13. Multiple choice: Which one of these does not identify Terah? (a) Abram's father; (b) Sarai's father-in-law; or (c) Haran's brother. (c) Haran's brother (Gen. 11:31). Haran was Abram's brother and the father of Milcah, the wife of Abram's brother Nahor.
14. Fill in the blanks: Noah and his family were spared destruction by the Flood because "Noah was a _____ man, _____ in his generations.""Just ... perfect" (Gen. 6:9). Noah seems to have been alone as a righteous man before the Lord. Therefore, he "found grace in the eyes of the Lord" (V. 8).
15. Multiple choice: What descendant of Ham became a mighty hunter before the Lord? (a) Cush; (b) Canaan; or (c) Nimrod. (c) Nimrod (Gen. 10:9).
16. Multiple choice: Identify Chedorlaomer. (a) The king of Sodom; (b) the king of Elam; or (c) the king of Gomorrah. (b) The king of Elam (Gen. 14:9).
17. Multiple choice: To whom did the Angel of the Lord say, "Return to your mistress, and submit yourself under her hand"? (a) Tamar; (b) Hagar; or (c) Shamgar. (b) Hagar (Gen. 16:8, 9).
18. Multiple choice: Who besides Pharaoh did Abraham tell that Sarah was his sister, so that they would treat him well? (a) Bera, king of Sodom; (b) Melchizedek, king of Salem; or (c) Abimelech, king of Gerar. (c) Abimelech, king of Gerar (Gen. 20:2).
19. True or false? Sarah and Abraham had the same father.True (Gen. 20:12).
20. Question: What was the name of Abraham's son which Sarah bore him?Isaac (Gen. 21:3).
21. Multiple choice: Who made Lot drunk with wine so that he unknowingly fathered a child by each of his two daughters? (a) His wife; (b) his two daughters; or (c) Abraham. (b) His two daughters (Gen. 19:32–36).
22. Multiple choice: Who carried the wood for the burnt off ering that God instructed Abraham to make of Isaac? (a) Abraham; (b) Isaac; or (c) Ishmael. (b) Isaac (Gen. 22:6). When Isaac carried the wood to Moriah, he did not know that he was to be the sacrifice (v. 7).
23. Multiple choice: Who said to Abraham's servant, "Drink," and "I will draw water for your camels also," to show that she was the one appointed by God for Isaac? (a) Milcah; (b) Rebekah; or (c) Keturah. (b) Rebekah (Gen. 24:15–19). Rebekah was the granddaughter of Abraham's brother Nahor (22:23). In this way she fulfilled the requirements of Abraham for a wife for Isaac (24:4).
24. Fill in the blanks: "And Isaac loved _____ because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved _____.""Esau ... Jacob" (Gen. 25:28).
25. Multiple choice: Who like Abraham lied to Abimelech, saying that his wife was his sister, because he was afraid of being killed for her? (a) Jacob; (b) Joseph; or (c) Isaac. (c) Isaac (Gen. 26:6, 7).
26. Multiple choice: Who orchestrated Jacob's deception of Isaac for his brother's blessing? (a) Esau; (b) Rebekah; or (c) Rachel. (b) Rebekah (Gen. 27:6–10).
27. Multiple choice: What did Jacob name the place where he dreamed about the ladder reaching from earth to heaven? (a) Luz; (b) Bethel; or (c) Gerar. (b) Bethel (Gen. 28:19). The place had been called Luz, but Jacob called it Bethel ("House of God") because God had appeared to him there.
28. Multiple choice: Who gave his firstborn daughter as a wife to Jacob, instead of the younger sister whom Jacob was working for? (a) Laban; (b) Abimelech; or (c) Nahor. (a) Laban (Gen. 29:25, 26). Laban was Rebekah's brother (v. 10). Rebekah sent her son to her brother's house while Esau wanted to kill him (28:2).
29. Multiple choice: Because Shechem had treated their sister like a harlot, which two sons of Jacob killed all the men of the city three days after they had been circumcised? (a) Reuben and Simeon; (b) Simeon and Levi; or (c) Levi and Asher. (b) Simeon and Levi (Gen. 34:25).
30. Multiple choice: Esau was the father of what group of people? (a) Canaanites; (b) Israelites; or (c) Edomites. (c) Edomites (Gen. 36:9). Esau was also known as Edom, which means "Red" (see 25:30).
31. True or false? Simeon instructed his brothers concerning Joseph, "Shed no blood, but cast him into this pit," so that he might come later and return him to their father.False. Reuben said this (Gen. 37:22).
32. Multiple choice: By whom did Judah father twins when she deceived him by passing as a harlot? (a) Hagar; (b) Tamar; or (c) Shamgar. (b) Tamar (Gen. 38:24–27). She deceived him because he had not kept his pledge to give her his youngest son for her husband.
33. Multiple choice: When Joseph's brothers dined with him in his house, who received a serving five times bigger than the rest? (a) Joseph, the host; (b) Simeon, who had been held in prison; or (c) Benjamin, the youngest brother. (c) Benjamin, the youngest brother (Gen. 43:34). Benjamin was Joseph's only full brother. The rest had three different mothers.
34. Multiple choice: Who told Joseph, "Bring your father and your households and come to me; I will give you the best of the land of Egypt"? (a) Pharaoh; (b) Potiphar; or (c) Poti Pherah, priest of On. (a) Pharaoh (Gen. 45:17, 18).
35. Multiple choice: Which of his sons did Jacob describe as "a lion's whelp"? (a) Reuben; (b) Benjamin; or (c) Judah. (c) Judah (Gen. 49:9). Judah would be a tribe of power and royal prerogative.
36. Question: Of Joseph's two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which received the greater blessing from Israel?Ephraim (Gen. 48:17–19).
37. Fill in the blank: The children of Israel began to suffer affliction because there was "a new king over Egypt, who did not know _____.""Joseph" (Ex. 1:8–11).
38. Multiple choice: Which relative watched over the Hebrew infant hidden in the ark of bulrushes on the river? (a) His brother; (b) his father; or (c) his sister. (c) His sister (Ex. 2:4).
39. Multiple choice: Where did Moses flee to after he killed the Egyptian he saw beating a Hebrew? (a) Canaan; (b) Midian; or (c) Edom. (b) Midian (Ex. 2:15).
40. True or false? The Pharaoh who ordered the Hebrew babies killed was not the same one who refused to let the Hebrew people leave Egypt.True (Ex. 2:23). Forty years had passed from the time of the order to kill the babies until Moses leftEgypt (Acts 7:23). Then another forty years passed until God sent Moses back to Egypt to lead the Hebrews out (Acts 7:30).
41. Fill in the blank: Pharaoh's daughter named the baby she found _____, because she "drew him out of the water." Moses (Ex. 2:10).
42. Fill in the blanks: When God spoke to Moses from the burning bush, He identified Himself by saying "I am the God of your father—the God of _____, the God of _____, and the God of _____.""Abraham ... Isaac ... Jacob" (Ex. 3:6). Those were the patriarchs with whom the Lord had made His covenant (Gen. 12:1–3; 26:24; 28:13–15).
43. Multiple choice: What name did God tell Moses to give to the children of Israel when they asked the name of the God who sent him? (a) I AM WHO I AM; (b) Elohim; or (c) Adonai. (a) I AM WHO I AM (Ex. 3:14). The writer of Hebrews made a similar statement about Jesus when he wrote, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever" (Heb. 13:8).
44. True or false? When the Lord removed the plague of locusts from Egypt, He caused the west wind to blow the locusts into the Dead Sea.False. They were blown into the Red Sea (Ex. 10:19).
45. Multiple choice: Who advised Pharaoh to let the Israelites go, because Egypt was destroyed after the plague of locusts? (a) His servants; (b) his wife; or (c) his daughter. (a) His servants (Ex. 10:7). Servants in this reference means governmental advisors rather than household servants.
46. Fill in the blank: The tenth and last plague which God sent on Egypt was that all the _____ of man and beast would die.Firstborn (Ex. 11:5).
47. Multiple choice: How many men leftEgypt on foot after Passover night? (a) 600,000; (b) 100,000; or (c) 50,000. (a) 600,000 (Ex. 12:37). This number of adult men suggests a total of about two million men, women, and children.
48. Fill in the blank: No person was allowed to eat the Passover meal.Uncircumcised (Ex. 12:48). Any non-Israelite male who wished to observe the Lord's Passover also needed to bear the mark of the covenant.
49. Fill in the blanks: The Lord led the children of Israel from Egypt into the wilderness "by day in a pillar of _____ to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of _____ to give them light.""Cloud ... fire" (Ex. 13:21). The Lord lived among His people in the tabernacle and led their journeys by day and night in visible manifestations.
50. Multiple choice: How many of Pharaoh's army escaped the waters of the Red Sea? (a) None; (b) one; or (c) one hundred. (a) None (Ex. 14:28).
51. Multiple choice: Who led the Israelite women in singing and dancing to praise God for the defeat of the Egyptian army? (a) Zipporah; (b) Miriam; or (c) Aaron. (b) Miriam (Ex. 15:20), Moses' and Aaron's sister. (See timbrel illustration , p. 8.)
52. Multiple choice: Who led the Israelites in the defeat of the Amalekites in the wilderness? (a) Moses; (b) Joshua; or (c) Hur. (b) Joshua (Ex. 17:13).
53. Multiple choice: Who advised Moses to set up men to judge in smaller matters, while he (Moses) judged only in greater matters? (a) Aaron; (b) Joshua; or (c) Jethro. (c) Jethro (Ex. 18:17–22). He had brought Moses' family to join him and observed the need for delegated authority (vv. 5, 14).
54. Multiple choice: When Israel accepted His covenant, where did God say He would come down in the sight of the people? (a) Mount Sinai; (b) Mount Zion; or (c) Mount Carmel. (a) Mount Sinai (Ex. 19:11).
55. Multiple choice: Who was identified as Moses' assistant when he went up the mountain to receive the covenant? (a) Aaron; (b) Jethro; or (c) Joshua. (c) Joshua (Ex. 24:13).
56. Multiple choice: Where in the tabernacle was the ark of the covenant located? (a) The Most Holy; (b) the Holy Place; or (c) on the north side of the lampstand. (a) The Most Holy (Ex. 26:34). Because the ark represented God's presence, it was isolated from the Holy Place where regular ritual was conducted.
57. Multiple choice: Where on the priest's garments did the phrase "HOLINESS TO THE LORD" appear? (a) The breastplate; (b) the ephod; or (c) the turban. (c) The turban (Ex. 28:36, 37).
58. Fill in the blank: The linen curtains and the inner veil of the tabernacle had artistic designs of _____ woven in them.Cherubim (Ex. 26:1, 31). Cherubim attend God in visions of heaven; in the tabernacle design, cherubim also marked the presence of God (cf. Ezek. 1:5; Rev. 4:6). (See illustration , p. 10.)
59. True or false? When the children of Israel gave atonement money (ransom) to the Lord, the rich were required to give more than the poor, according to their wealth.False. The rich and poor gave the same amount (Ex. 30:15).
60. Multiple choice: Who were Bezaleel and Aholiab? (a) Sons of Aaron who burned the wrong incense; (b) workmen prepared and appointed by God to build the tabernacle; or (c) the two sons of Moses. (b) Workmen prepared and appointed by God to build the tabernacle (Ex. 31:2, 3, 6).
61. Multiple choice: Who made the molded calf and said, "This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!"? (a) Aaron; (b) Joshua; or (c) Eleazar. (a) Aaron (Ex. 32:2, 4). Aaron yielded to the demands of the people for a visible god to credit with saving them from Egypt.
62. True or false? The only requirement for the Israelites who wanted to make offerings of materials to build the tabernacle was that they have a willing heart.True (Ex. 35:5, 22, 29).
63. Multiple choice: Which sons of Aaron off ered profane fire before the Lord and were devoured by fire from the Lord because of it? (a) Eleazar and Ithamar; (b) Eleazar and Abihu; or (c) Nadab and Abihu. (c) Nadab and Abihu (Lev. 10:1, 2). They lost their lives for worshiping God in a way other than He had directed. The seriousness of their off ense stems from their role as priests, who were to preserve the purity of Israel's obedience.
64. Fill in the blank: The tribe of _____ was not numbered among the children of Israel when Moses took the census of all males twenty and over.Levi (Num. 1:47). The census determined the fighting force of Israel. The Levites were to care for the tabernacle and the ritual worship, not to engage in warfare (v. 50).
65. Fill in the blank: God instructed Moses to "take the Levites for Me—I am the Lord —instead of all the _____ among the children of Israel.""Firstborn" (Num. 3:41). Because of the Passover in Egypt, God owned the firstborn of humans and animals.
66. Fill in the blank: The Levites were required to retire from service in the work of the tabernacle of meeting at the age of _____.Fifty (Num. 8:25).
67. Multiple choice: Who became leprous for questioning whether God had only spoken through Moses and not through some others also? (a) Aaron; (b) Miriam; or (c) Eldad. (b) Miriam (Num. 12:2, 10).
Excerpted from DID YOU KNOW by Thomas Nelson Publishers. Copyright © 1987 Thomas Nelson. Excerpted by permission of Thomas Nelson.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.