Differentiation in Practice, Grades K-5: A Resource Guide for Differentiating Curriculumby Carol Ann Tomlinson
Pub. Date: 08/28/2003
Publisher: Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
Join Carol Ann Tomlinson and Caroline Cunningham Eidson in their continuing exploration of how real teachers incorporate differentiation principles and strategies throughout an entire instructional unit. Focusing on the elementary grades, but applicable at all levels, Differentiation in Practice, Grades K-5 will teach anyone interested in designing and implementing… See more details below
Join Carol Ann Tomlinson and Caroline Cunningham Eidson in their continuing exploration of how real teachers incorporate differentiation principles and strategies throughout an entire instructional unit. Focusing on the elementary grades, but applicable at all levels, Differentiation in Practice, Grades K-5 will teach anyone interested in designing and implementing differentiated curriculum how to do so or how to do so more effectively. Inside, you'll find
• Annotated lesson plans for differentiated units in language arts, social studies, science, and mathematics.
• Samples of differentiated product assignments, learning contracts, rubrics, and homework handouts.
• An overview of the non-negotiables in differentiated classrooms and guidelines for using the book as a learning tool.
• An extended glossary and recommended readings for further exploration of key ideas and strategies. Each unit highlights underlying standards, delineates learning goals, and takes you step by step through the instructional process. Unit developers provide running commentary on their use of flexible grouping and pacing, tiered assignments and assessments, learning contracts, and numerous other strategies. The models and insight presented will inform your own differentiation efforts and help you meet the challenge of mixed-ability classrooms with academically responsive curriculum appropriate for all learners.
- Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.90(w) x 10.02(h) x 0.45(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of ContentsDedication
Part I: A Brief Primer on Differentiation
Part II: Differentiated Units of Study
Chapter 1. All About the ABCs: A Language Arts Unit on the Alphabet— by Caroline Cunningham Eidson
Chapter 2. What Plants Need: A Science Unit on the Functions of Plant Parts— by Caroline Cunningham Eidson
Chapter 3. We're All in It Together: A Social Studies Unit on Needs, Wants, and Community Helpers— by Jennifer Ann Bonnett
Chapter 4. The World of Geometry: A Mathematics Unit on Basic Geometric Concepts— by Elizabeth Hargrave
Chapter 5. It's All a Matter of Chance: A Mathematics Unit on Beginning Probability— by Laura C. Massey
Chapter 6. We Each Have a Role to Play: A Language Arts Unit Introducing Literature Circles— by Sandra Williams Page
Resources on Differentiation and Related Topics
About the Authors
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >