Discourse and Social Change / Edition 1by Norman Fairclough
Pub. Date: 06/28/1993
Now available in paperback, this book is a critical introduction to discourse analysis as it is practised in a variety of different disciplines today, from linguistics and sociolinguistics to sociology and cultural studies. The author shows how concern with the analysis of discourse can be combined, in a systematic and fruitful way, with an interest in broader problems of social analysis and social change.
Fairclough provides a concise and critical review of the methods and results of discourse analysis, discussing the descriptive work of linguists and conversation analysts as well as the more historically and theoretically oriented work of Michel Foucault. He develops an original framework for discourse analysis which firmly situates discourse in a broader context of social relations bringing together text analysis, the analysis of processes of text production and interpretation, and the social analysis of discourse events.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.80(d)
- Age Range:
- 18 Years
Table of ContentsPreface.
1. Approaches to Discourse Analysis.
2. Michel Foucault and the Analysis of Discourse.
3. A Social Theory of Discourse.
5. Text Analysis: Constructing Social Relations.
6. Text Analysis: Constructing Social Reality.
7. Discourse and Social Change in Contemporary Society.
8. Doing Discourse Analysis.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >