Disorders of Personality: DSM-IV and Beyond / Edition 2by Theodore Millon
Disorders of Personality: DSM-IV and Beyond is the fully revised Second Edition of Theodore Millon’s landmark work on personality disorders. Indeed, Dr. Millon has been universally recognized as a pioneer and leading authority in this rapidly evolving field. As one of the founders of the Journal of Personality Disorders, a prime organizer of/sup>… See more details below
Disorders of Personality: DSM-IV and Beyond is the fully revised Second Edition of Theodore Millon’s landmark work on personality disorders. Indeed, Dr. Millon has been universally recognized as a pioneer and leading authority in this rapidly evolving field. As one of the founders of the Journal of Personality Disorders, a prime organizer of the International Society for the Study of Personality Disorders, and a full member of the DSM-IV, Axis II Work Group, he has played a dominant role in shaping the character of this extraordinarily challenging area of psychological study. In this new edition, practitioners, researchers, teachers, and students will find the same clarity of insight that made the previous edition the standard text on personality disorders. Like its predecessor, the Second Edition guides the reader through the special complexities of this group of disorders and aids clinicians in the difficult work of diagnosis. It serves as an indispensable companion volume to DSM-IV, especially in the light of advances that have transformed personality disorders from an area of marginal relevance in diagnostic practice to one that is now central to the comprehensive multiaxial format. Major revisions and an almost doubling in length make this book more valuable than ever before:
- A revised theoretical frameworkfrom a learning theory-biosocial framework to a more evolutionary model that includes constructs applicable to phylogenesis and human adaptive styles
- An expansion of the 15 basic personality prototypes into personality disorder subcategories, resulting in over 60 additional adult subtypes
- An enlarged review of historical and contemporary thinking on personality disorders that makes this an invaluable single sourcebook for evaluating various theories
- A substantial expansion of the "Clinical Picture" section of each chapter now incorporates eight realms of patient data, and therefore facilitates the selection of modalities of therapeutic intervention
- Comprehensive reviews of the newer personality prototypes, such as avoidant, narcissistic, borderline, schizotypal, depressive, sadistic, and masochistic
- Detailed discussion of frequent Comorbid Axis I and Axis II diagnosesa feature especially useful to those in managed care practices
- An instructive discussion of childhood personality disorders, a subject frequently ignored in the literature
- Major new chapters on personality assessment and personality therapy, including an up-to-date review of available instruments
- Expanded and detailed discussion of short-term, focused therapy
Table of Contents
* CONCEPTUAL AND CLINICAL FOUNDATIONS.
• Personality Disorders: Issues, Principles, and Classification.
• Personality Development: Origins, Sequences, and Outcomes.
• Personality Therapy: Planning, Modalities, and Integration.
• PLEASURE-DEFICIENT PERSONALITIES.
• Avoidant Personality Disorders: The Withdrawn Pattern.
• INTERPERSONALLY-IMBALANCED PERSONALITIES.
• Histrionic Personality Disorders: The Gregarious Pattern.
• Narcissistic Personality Disorders: The Egotistic Pattern.
• INTRAPSYCHICALLY-CONFLICTED PERSONALITIES.
• Sadistic Personality Disorders: The Abusive Pattern.
• Masochistic Personality Disorders: The Aggrieved Pattern.
• STRUCTURALLY-DEFECTIVE PERSONALITIES.
• Borderline Personality Disorders: The Unstable Pattern.
• Decompensated Personality Disorders: The Terminal Pattern
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >