DITA Best Practices, Video Enhanced Edition: A Roadmap for Writing, Editing, and Architecting in DITAby Laura Bellamy, Michelle Carey, Jenifer Schlotfeldt
This is the video enhanced eBook version of the print title. Watch video demonstrations to see how to implement some of the advanced features of DITA discussed in this book. With these videos you’ll learn to code short descriptions, links, conditional processing, and content references. In addition, you will find instructions in the last few pages of… See more details below
- Checkmark Enhanced NOOK Books Shop Now
This is the video enhanced eBook version of the print title. Watch video demonstrations to see how to implement some of the advanced features of DITA discussed in this book. With these videos you’ll learn to code short descriptions, links, conditional processing, and content references. In addition, you will find instructions in the last few pages of your eBook that direct you to the download site for the set of DITA sample files used in examples throughout the book.
The Start-to-Finish, Best-Practice Guide to Implementing and Using DITA
Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) is today’s most powerful toolbox for constructing information. By implementing DITA, organizations can gain more value from their technical documentation than ever before. Now, three DITA pioneers offer the first complete roadmap for successful DITA adoption, implementation, and usage.
Drawing on years of experience helping large organizations adopt DITA, the authors answer crucial questions the “official” DITA documents ignore, including: Where do you start? What should you know up front? What are the pitfalls in implementing DITA? How can you avoid those pitfalls?
The authors begin with topic-based writing, presenting proven best practices for developing effective topics and short descriptions. Next, they address content architecture, including how best to set up and implement DITA maps, linking strategies, metadata, conditional processing, and content reuse. Finally, they offer “in the trenches” solutions for ensuring quality implementations, including guidance on content conversion.
- Knowing how and when to use each DITA element–and when not to
- Writing “minimalist,” task-oriented information that quickly meets users’ needs
- Creating effective task, concept, and reference topics for any product, technology, or service
- Writing effective short descriptions that work well in all contexts
- Structuring DITA maps to bind topics together and provide superior navigation
- Using links to create information webs that improve retrievability and navigation
- Gaining benefits from metadata without getting lost in complexity
- Using conditional processing to eliminate redundancy and rework
- Systematically promoting reuse to improve quality and reduce costs
- Planning, resourcing, and executing effective content conversion
- Improving quality by editing DITA content and XML markup
If you’re a writer, editor, information architect, manager, or consultant who evaluates, deploys, or uses DITA, this book will guide you all the way to success.
Important note: The audio and video content included with this enhanced eBook can be viewed only using iBooks on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
Due to the incredibly rich media included in your enhanced eBook, you may experience longer than usual download times. Please be patient while your product is delivered.
Also see the other books in this IBM Press series:
- Developing Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and Editors
- The IBM Style Guide: Conventions for Writers and Editors
- Pearson Education
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 410 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >